APIs & Integrations

Hkazarovich

Contact activity visible for associated companies

SOLVE

Hello!

Currently, if we send an email to a contact that is connected with a company, the email shows up in the activities of the associated company as well as the contact page.  This led us to believe that all activity associated with a contact links to the associated companies as well. 

We recently integrated with ZipWhip, and their integration is designed to sync to the contact, with the text messages showing up under the all activities section. I'm finding that unlike emails, texts are not syncing with the associated company name. Is there a reason that some things associated with contacts connect with companies, while others don't? Or is there a way for all activity on a contact's page to sync wherever it is connected?

1 Accepted solution
Willson
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi @Hkazarovich 

Thanks for this! I was able to look into this and can see that the integration itself is creating Timeline Events on the object records, in this case, Contact Records. 

This means, the behaviour we're seeing is expected as Timeline Events created via the API on Contact Records will not show on associated object records, in this case, a Company record. 

The functionality of how this works is detailed in our Documentation here:

https://developers.hubspot.com/docs/methods/timeline/timeline-overview

In order for this to show on the company record, this would require the event be added to the Company Record too but would require an extra step to get the associated Id for the Contact, hence why this is not a simple 1-step process that can be done via the API linked above. 

As this is an integration that is built and maintained by ZipWhip, i'd recommend you reach out to them directly to get their insights into the new functionality. 

I hope this helps!

Product Manager @ HubSpot

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
4 Replies 4
Willson
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi @Hkazarovich 

I am not 100% familiar with this integration you're referring to, ZipWhip and so cannot speak to the expected functionality. 

Would you be able to DM your Portal Id and I can take a look to see if I can understand more about the integration? 

Also to confirm, we're referencing the following integration?
https://ecosystem.hubspot.com/marketplace/apps/marketing/live-chat/zipwhip

0 Upvotes
Hkazarovich

SOLVE

Absolutely. Thanks for the quick response! ZipWhip seems to be functioning correctly. 

In a company page on Hubspot, I'm able to filter activity and select different options for communication that I want to show up on the page. i.e. "Calls," "Conversations", and "Emails." I'm looking to see if there is / can be an option to also show "Texts" or all contact activity. I see under Filter Activity, "Updates" there is an option to view "Deal Activity," so we are wondering if there is / can be an option to also filter "Contact Activity." Or, like on the Contact page, there is an option to filter activity and show Integrations. Maybe that is an option in company pages?

0 Upvotes
Willson
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi @Hkazarovich 

Thanks for this! I was able to look into this and can see that the integration itself is creating Timeline Events on the object records, in this case, Contact Records. 

This means, the behaviour we're seeing is expected as Timeline Events created via the API on Contact Records will not show on associated object records, in this case, a Company record. 

The functionality of how this works is detailed in our Documentation here:

https://developers.hubspot.com/docs/methods/timeline/timeline-overview

In order for this to show on the company record, this would require the event be added to the Company Record too but would require an extra step to get the associated Id for the Contact, hence why this is not a simple 1-step process that can be done via the API linked above. 

As this is an integration that is built and maintained by ZipWhip, i'd recommend you reach out to them directly to get their insights into the new functionality. 

I hope this helps!

0 Upvotes
Fredd
Participant

SOLVE

We are truggling with this too. Our managers don't understand why they can easily see Contact A from Company Y participated in an event (Contact Activity "Marketing Events" type) but they can never see in the Company timeline, that Contact A person particpated in an event. This means that an Account Manager, when trying to collate people that participated in events, has to go through complex lists, or other cludges, while a Filter by Activity in the Company Y should allow this.

By failing to do this, we have had a nightmare doing ABM of B2b sales for sales that use Hubspot as the primary source of information, to collect and orchestrate distributed efforts (we have Regional efforts, service specific efforts, AMB, etc.)

In a nutshell, it's a nightmare for us not being able to answer, upon relizing we may be in a RFP very soon "Find me past event attendes for Company Y". We tried a lot of things, and all require unsustainable baby sitting, or are to complex for sales leaders and without the sales serve, they will just revert back to never touching Hubspot again.

I am not sure if I understand the respose above, but seems that the Event API which is the only way to get attendance as an Activity on the Contact, is not enough, so no solution con come from any company using the Event API itself, and would have to be something more complex.

As one of Hubspot's very early clients, we really struggle with this for over a decade now, and gave up many times, but keeps being a TOp 3 issue we have. And people tell us we should have used a better CRM. But we already love Hubspot and won't change, and are interested in wider options. But this has been really problematic and is really important for us. Any solution to this issue would be really apreciated.

Thanks!

0 Upvotes