APIs & Integrations

Renpai
Teilnehmer/-in

Connect to Hubspot CRM via API as a third party

Hello @All

Disclaimer: I am not a developer myself, I am here to do some scouting for our developers and create working postman collections for them.

I had a look at the api doc and am a bit confused as to how to start. Our partner who wants to receive leads isnt of any help at all (they sent us the legacy api doc for a start).

Thus, we have to start from the very first step since I have no working knowledge about hubspot.

Can someone write down a quick step-by-step process on what to do?

Writing the create request shouldn't be a problem though.

What confuses me: Developer Accounts, Test Accounts, API Key, Scopes and how to finally get the connection to our partners hubspot crm - I believe in the end they have to provide aus with the developer accounts etc.?

Many thanks, greatly appreciate any input I can get!

0 Upvotes
5 Antworten
RMones
Mitwirkender/Mitwirkende | Platinum Partner

Thx for your reply @dennisedson ..

I was searching for more information about private apps, and wasn't aware it was available for app Hubspot Packages. I thought it available from Professional, but it shoud be available for all hubspot environments. 

So Yes i think this is a good solution when you are creating an integration for one specific partner!

More information about connection with oAuth is here: 

https://developers.hubspot.com/docs/api/working-with-oauth

If you send theauthorization URL for your partner with the correct scopes they can connect to it and the callback URL will point to your application and there you have to save the correct keys (access, refresh). 

After the authorization you can create API call with the Access token, and if the Access token is expired, you can refresh it with the Refresh token.

Regards Ronald

RMones

Hi @Renpai ,

There are several options. Regarding the package your partner is using.. 
But I think you want to create an App in your developer account and link this one to their environment with oAuth.

You can also create an API key in the Hubspot environment of the partner and use that one.

But that isn't recommended, but to start much easier.

After that you talk about Leads, but where do they store leads. In the Contacts object with a Status or?
Then you can use the Contacts API. 

https://developers.hubspot.com/docs/api/overview 
The most information about the current API you can find here. Inclusing CURL request that you can add to your postman collection.

Regards Ronald

Renpai
Teilnehmer/-in

But I think you want to create an App in your developer account and link this one to their environment with oAuth.

Do you mind to paste this part? Can't seem to find how to link it exactly.

I think it is easier if they set up a developer account and create an app, edit the scopes and send me the credentials / redirect urls and skip the linking part - or am I missing something?

You can also create an API key in the Hubspot environment of the partner and use that one.

But that isn't recommended, but to start much easier.

I also think this isnt the right way, as it seems that I would get permission to do view and edit everything in their CRM. I'd rather start with the correct way.

0 Upvotes
dennisedson
HubSpot-Produktteam
HubSpot-Produktteam

@RMones is spot on!

@Renpai , Regarding your follow up question.  If this is going to be for this one partner and  them alone, I would consider looking into a private app which would be housed within their portal and not a developer account.  It is also easier to set up the authentication.  Kinda the best of api key and OAuth.

If you plan on using it with multiple partners, then the developer account app is the way to go and you should own it 😀.  The parner would just need the install URL to add to their account. 

Seeming you are putting together a postman collection, here is a loom demonstrating how to connect postman to your app with OAuth

Renpai
Teilnehmer/-in

Ah yes, thanks for the explanation! I think I understand the whole structure now. As of now, this is our only partner who uses hubspot.

I actually sent our partner the link to the private app like 8hours ago - before even posting here and recommended using that over the generic api key.

Thank you so far! Let's see how this is going to work out.