APIs & Integrations

jc-crash
Participant

Clarity on the SMTP API

SOLVE

Hi,

We have to send a large number of emails to users that are potentially not contacts in hubspot. These are not marketing emails, they are emails for events our company runs and therefore have user specific data injected into the email.

• Is it possible to call the SMTP API to send emails passing it the target email address and some data to inject into the email? 
  • Can we have it use a pre-built email template in Hubspot (which would have a tag for where our external data would be injected)?

I am aware we need the transactional email add-on. Assuming we have that, is this the right API, and if not, are there any that will fulfil our needs here?

Thanks!

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
dennisedson
Solution
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

Clarity on the SMTP API

SOLVE

That is a good call-out.  Sorry I glossed over that 😥

So back to square one.  Yes, SMTP email is the way you will have to go. Unfortunately, the guts of the email will have to be built out on whatever 3rd party system you are using.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
himanshurauthan
Thought Leader | Elite Partner
Thought Leader | Elite Partner

Clarity on the SMTP API

SOLVE

Hi @jc-crash and @dennisedson,

As you mentioned, there can be contacts that you wish to send mail that are not in HubSpot. For that case, SMTP API is the option and you can manage your email content and design in your app from where you wish to send the mail.

If you want to send HubSpot created emails ( designed in HubSpot ) the contact should be created before sending, so you might create a contact in HubSpot, it will give you additional tracking power of HubSpot and you can use Single Send API.

As announced in product updates <https://blog.hubspot.com/customers/marketing-hub-product-updates-in-2020-and-beyond>

- HubSpot also going to release programmable email ( currently in beta ) and you can take the benefits of the same too with the single send API.

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,
Himanshu

Digital Marketing & Inbound Expert In Growth Hacking Technology
dennisedson
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

Clarity on the SMTP API

SOLVE

Hello @jc-crash 

I think this describes what you want.  Pulled this from here

Single-send API

The best of both worlds!

Create beautiful transactional emails right within HubSpot using the email editor with all the benefits of smart content, personalization and templates - just like regular HubSpot emails.

PLUS add custom tokens (that live outside of HubSpot) to your email which you can send us via your API.

Instead of saving for automation in HubSpot - choose ‘Save for single-send API’. The email will send when triggered from your system and performance data will automatically be tracked in HubSpot. Nice!

@mattrasto , @isabellajose94 , @himanshurauthan -- what do you all think?

jc-crash
Participant

Clarity on the SMTP API

SOLVE

Hi Dennis!

Yes that sounds ideal, except I saw on the API page that it requires the receivers to exist as Contacts in the Hubspot account. We have cases where we may not want Contacts created for the email receivers. Or am I misunderstanding that?

Thnaks!

Jonny

0 Upvotes
dennisedson
Solution
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

Clarity on the SMTP API

SOLVE

That is a good call-out.  Sorry I glossed over that 😥

So back to square one.  Yes, SMTP email is the way you will have to go. Unfortunately, the guts of the email will have to be built out on whatever 3rd party system you are using.