APIs & Integrations

brianjlowry
Top Contributor

Can you limit engagement metadata in API call?

SOLVE

Hi,

I am using engagements simply as a means to count the total number that have occurred by type, but I need to grab all of them. There is nothing in the documentation that suggests this is possible, but is there a way to narrowly scope the properties to prevent the metadata from being returned?

Email bodies tend to explode the size of the response.

Thanks!

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
IsaacTakushi
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hey, @brianjlowry.

Hmm, when you put it that way, it does sound like a different idea.

If you post, I would make the request a little more general, like asking for an option to exclude metadata from any "Get all [object]" endpoint and then describe your particular use case. That way, others can add their own slightly different use cases.

Isaac Takushi

Associate Certification Manager

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
hot_z
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi there,

I was equally curious about this too and checked out some past threads about it.

If I'm not mistaken, there isn't a way to have this done so the best way forward may be upvoting this over at this thread. (https://community.hubspot.com/t5/APIs-Integrations/Request-for-Engagements-Type-Filter-in-API/m-p/23...)

IsaacTakushi
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Thanks for jumping in (again), @hot_z!

@brianjlowry, I can confirm that it's currently not possible to exclude metadata from API responses. I can certainly see the use case, though.

Please upvote this feature request. Unlike the thread @hot_z linked, the kudoes will only really be considered in product decisions if they are on the Ideas Forum

Isaac Takushi

brianjlowry
Top Contributor

SOLVE

Thanks, @IsaacTakushi! and @hot_z!

If I want to expand on his ask by requesting that the body of emails / metadata be left out (perhaps by specfying properties or by includeMetadata=boolean), can I reply to his thread or is that considered a separate "idea"?

His use case wouldn't help us as we still need to grab all emails - we want to reduce the size of the pull by excluding metadata like the email body.

0 Upvotes
IsaacTakushi
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hey, @brianjlowry.

Hmm, when you put it that way, it does sound like a different idea.

If you post, I would make the request a little more general, like asking for an option to exclude metadata from any "Get all [object]" endpoint and then describe your particular use case. That way, others can add their own slightly different use cases.

Isaac Takushi

brianjlowry
Top Contributor

SOLVE

Thanks @IsaacTakushi,

I posted the idea over there more generically: https://community.hubspot.com/t5/HubSpot-Ideas/Ability-to-exclude-metadata-for-any-object-API-call/i...

I appreciate your help.

0 Upvotes
IsaacTakushi
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Upvoted, @brianjlowry!

Isaac Takushi