APIs & Integrations

ShubhamS

Can we do API integration without using Client id/secret or API key? If yes then how?

I want the integration to be like social sign in where all you have to do is login to the respective app and grant permission. I don't want my user to give me his api key, client id or secret etc. I could not find any such reference in the docs. 

Any help, link or example is appreciated.

Thanks

0 Upvotes
5 Replies 5
himanshurauthan
Thought Leader | Elite Partner

Can we do API integration without using Client id/secret or API key? If yes then how?

@ShubhamS 

If the APP that you want to create will be anyhow connected to HubSpot then you need to use oauth 2.0 or API key method. These two methods are required to ensure connection with particular HubSpot account and security process.

Thanks

Digital Marketing & Inbound Expert In Growth Hacking Technology
0 Upvotes
ShubhamS

@himanshurauthan 

I didn't quite understand "If the APP that you want to create will be anyhow connected to HubSpot". Are you saying these are the only two methods of integration with Hubspot? 

Just FYI, think it like - i have my application which will be widely used and I want to integrate Hubspot with it. Now obviously i don't want my customers to give me client id, client secret or api key. This is too much to ask from your customers. Plus you need to have developers account to use Oauth method. 

0 Upvotes
himanshurauthan

@ShubhamS 

By the phrase, I want to integrate Hubspot with it, you must mean to integrate with customers/user HubSpot account. And for this we need atleast one token/identifier from there end to connect HS account with your APP. If you do not want them to enter more data then you can follow oauth 2.0 flow in which you can use your Client ID/Client Secret ( unique for a HS APP created from dev account). In oauth 2.0, user will need to only authorize their HS account and your APP and that too in a single click.

Thanks

0 Upvotes
ShubhamS

@himanshurauthan 

So Oauth and API key is the only way. This does not make me very happy because to implement this, i will have to ask my customers to create dev account and provide me client Id/secret. 

Just curious, how do you know this? Have you tried implementing something simillar and then ended up doing this(Oauth/Api Key) for your business? 

Thanks

0 Upvotes
himanshurauthan

@ShubhamS
You can create an APP on your own so that only you will have a client ID and client secret. The app on a dev account will act as a medium between HubSpot and other platforms. Your clients need not to enter any of their details in oauth process but to authorize their account with your HubSpot app in order to grant permissions to scopes your app needs.
0 Upvotes