APIs & Integrations

tfrewin
Participant

CRM Extension Timeout

SOLVE

Hi

I’m getting a request timeout on lots of my CRM extension calls. It appears that the timeout is set to around 2-3 seconds. On average, my JSON response takes a bit longer to than that due to the complexity of the calls I’m making to a third party API. Is there any way to increase the timeout?

Thanks,
Tim

1 Accepted solution
Derek_Gervais
Solution
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

CRM Extension Timeout

SOLVE

Hey @Wholesale-Solar ,

I was able to confirm with my team. The timeout is non-configurable, and is set to 5s.

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
9 Replies 9
Wholesale-Solar
Top Contributor

CRM Extension Timeout

SOLVE

@SamKreeke 
We had to build multiple layers of object caching on our backend... Users still get timeouts when requesting items that take longer than 5 seconds on the back end to put together... but even though hubspot bails out - the back end still builds the and caches the object.

SO if it fails, users just refresh once or twice and then it's cached on the backend and the request completes quickly.

Far majority of crm ext requests complete successfully.

Not sure what the 5 seconds is for, 10 seconds would be better.

0 Upvotes
Derek_Gervais
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

CRM Extension Timeout

SOLVE

Hi @tfrewin,

The HubSpot app makes a call from the frontend to our own service, which then makes a request to the data fetch URI. The timeout parameter included in the frontend request is unrelated to the request HubSpot makes to your server. The timeout for the request HubSpot is making to your server is around 3 seconds, and it’s currently not possible to adjust that timeout. You should be able to see the CRM extension requests in the API call logging tools of your developer portal to get an idea for how long these requests are taking.

0 Upvotes
Wholesale-Solar
Top Contributor

CRM Extension Timeout

SOLVE

@Derek_Gervais 

We are experiencing this as well in some edge cases...

The ui renders fine while it's waiting.

Dismayed,

Chad

0 Upvotes
Derek_Gervais
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

CRM Extension Timeout

SOLVE

Hey @Wholesale-Solar ,

This topic is pretty old, so let me follow up with my team and verify how our timeouts are configured now. I'll get back to you here when I have more info for you.

0 Upvotes
Derek_Gervais
Solution
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

CRM Extension Timeout

SOLVE

Hey @Wholesale-Solar ,

I was able to confirm with my team. The timeout is non-configurable, and is set to 5s.

0 Upvotes
Wholesale-Solar
Top Contributor

CRM Extension Timeout

SOLVE

@Derek_Gervais Thank you for the udpate. Seems shorter then that. We've hacked around it....

0 Upvotes
SamKreeke
Participant

CRM Extension Timeout

SOLVE

Hi @Wholesale-Solar, I know it's a while ago by now. But if you still know how you did it, would you like to share the hack-around with us?

Derek_Gervais
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

CRM Extension Timeout

SOLVE

Hi @tfrewin,

It’s not currently possible to increase the timeout of the data fetch request. While I’m not yet sure precisely what the timeout value is, HubSpot expects a response from the data fetch URI quickly in order to render the UI. I’ll reach back out here when I have an exact figure for the timeout.

0 Upvotes
tfrewin
Participant

CRM Extension Timeout

SOLVE

Hi Derek,

Thanks for your reply.

The slowest logged successful request of mine was 3.032 seconds. When I load one relatively slow request in a browser, it takes between roughly 2-4 seconds. But it never loads in HubSpot.

If I look in my browser dev tools, I can see that HubSpot is calling its own endpoint which in turn must call mine. That has a timeout parameter specified as 7 seconds (https://api.hubspot.com/extensions/sales-objects/v1/objects?objectTypeId=422&associatedObjectId=578x...).

I’ve tried modifying that parameter and loading the endpoint from my browser but it doesn’t seem to make any difference, I’m not sure that that parameter is actually being used. If the timeout is in fact 7 seconds, that sounds much more reasonable but I’m not sure why it’s taking twice as long for HubSpot to call my endpoint as it is for me to load it in a browser.

Anything that you could do to help me either extend the timeout or figure out why HubSpot is loading my endpoint so slowly would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim

0 Upvotes