APIs & Integrations

kpatel
Participant

COS file upload to root - push notification

SOLVE

Any marketers here who has issue of not being able to upload file on root directory? Any solutions for push notification if anyone has found?

0 Upvotes
3 Accepted solutions
IsaacTakushi
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi, @kpatel.

We just added new functionality to the URL redirects tool which allows you to leverage proxy redirects to host files on the root directory of your HubSpot-hosted site. (Although the announcement was on March 15, I was notified of factors that hampered your use case, so I held off on posting here until I got three green light today.)

Per this updated article:

Proxy: select this type to redirect the content of your live page without changing the URL displayed on the visitor's web browser. This redirect type is often used to share a file that's hosted on a specific directory outside your main site.

If I understand the request from your original post correctly:

Any marketers here who have issues of not being able to upload files on root directory?

... this change should solve for your use case.

Isaac Takushi

Associate Certification Manager

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
charton
Solution

SOLVE

This is now possible by via URL Redirect using Proxy redirect style. Like in the case of uploading the service worker script from subscriber.com, you can just upload firebase-messaging-sw.js anywhere in your File Manager then add a url redirect in Settings > Domains & URLs > URL Redirect:

Screen Shot 2020-03-03 at 4.13.35 PM.png

sleong
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

If anyone is facing the error message saying "original URL is not hosted on Hubspot" while implementing the above - you can omit your domain "www.example.com" from the input and that should do the trick!

Settings-31-.png

23 Replies 23
RomanGruit
Top Contributor

SOLVE

A long time passed. Still might be relevant to someone.
We have developed a HubSpot app that might be the solution to the problem. It allows sending push notifications for subscribers in the browser. Currently, it is in the early stages. We are figuring out whether there are people interested in a such service.
Please, try it out and let us know what you think. I'm here to answer any questions you may have. Cheers!
web-push-hs.kohorta.co 

charton
Solution

SOLVE

This is now possible by via URL Redirect using Proxy redirect style. Like in the case of uploading the service worker script from subscriber.com, you can just upload firebase-messaging-sw.js anywhere in your File Manager then add a url redirect in Settings > Domains & URLs > URL Redirect:

Screen Shot 2020-03-03 at 4.13.35 PM.png

sleong
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

If anyone is facing the error message saying "original URL is not hosted on Hubspot" while implementing the above - you can omit your domain "www.example.com" from the input and that should do the trick!

Settings-31-.png

IsaacTakushi
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi, @K-Patel.

The team hopes to implement a solution within a couple months. I can't offer more detail.

Isaac Takushi

kpatel
Participant

SOLVE

@IsaacTakushi  it has been couple months, any update on this feature? is it available now?

0 Upvotes
IsaacTakushi
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi, @kpatel and @qcolmant.

Thank you for checking back in! According to one of the engineers on that team, they are looking to roll out this functionality as part of the new url mappings tool "in the next couple weeks."

Given the nature of these changes, I unfortunately can't offer a more specific delivery date.

Isaac Takushi

kpatel
Participant

SOLVE

Hi Isaac, Has push notificaiton feature being released now? 

-Kiltesh

0 Upvotes
IsaacTakushi
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi, @kpatel.

We just added new functionality to the URL redirects tool which allows you to leverage proxy redirects to host files on the root directory of your HubSpot-hosted site. (Although the announcement was on March 15, I was notified of factors that hampered your use case, so I held off on posting here until I got three green light today.)

Per this updated article:

Proxy: select this type to redirect the content of your live page without changing the URL displayed on the visitor's web browser. This redirect type is often used to share a file that's hosted on a specific directory outside your main site.

If I understand the request from your original post correctly:

Any marketers here who have issues of not being able to upload files on root directory?

... this change should solve for your use case.

Isaac Takushi

0 Upvotes
JoachimKoch
Participant | Platinum Partner
Participant | Platinum Partner

SOLVE

Can you give a practical example of how to make use of this?

Thanks

Joachim

Joachim
joachim.koch@aspiration.marketing
www.aspiration.marketing
0 Upvotes
IsaacTakushi
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi, @JoachimKoch.

Are you referring to using web push notifications?

I believe @kpatel's original post referred to uploading files like  a service-worker and manifest.json to a site's root folder, as mentioned in this article.

I don't have concrete examples of this implemented on HubSpot, but there seems to be quite a bit of literature on the topic on external blogs.

Please let me know if I've misunderstood your goal.

Isaac Takushi

0 Upvotes
AdamZen
Contributor

SOLVE

When will I be able to instal push notifications on my HubSpot hosted website using: https://subscribers.com

0 Upvotes
IsaacTakushi
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi, @AdamZen.

Could you please describe the technical roadblocks you are encountering in greater detail?

Isaac Takushi

0 Upvotes
AdamZen
Contributor

SOLVE

When can I expect a reply?

0 Upvotes
IsaacTakushi
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi, @AdamZen.

Apologies for the delayed response; I missed your posts. Please tag me (@IsaacTakushi) in future correspondence to maximize the chance I see it.

I've reviewed your case with my colleague Aisha and want to clarify a few points:

• This thread concerns hosting files on the root directory of a HubSpot website, not support for push notifications, let alone from a specific provider like Subscribers.com.
  • When implementing push notifications, it is often necessary to host files on the root directory of a website, which is why the original poster asked about that functionality. At the time, that functionality did not exist.
  • It is now possible to host files on the root directory of a HubSpot-hosted website by leveraging a proxy redirect. This removes one roadblock users were encountering when attempting to implement push notifications on HubSpot.

I hope it is clear that HubSpot was not and is not developing any solution specifically geared to Subscribers.com's push notification solution.

To answer your original question directly:

The instructions to instal are different for different platforms: WordPress, Wix, etc. Which platform is HubSpot?

None of them. Subscribers.com may not have instructions specifically tailored to HubSpot's CMS, but if you share the instructions you are referring to, I might be able to advise further.

If you attempt to implement their solution and are unable to, please let me know the specific technical roadblocks you encounter. I'd be happy to help.

Isaac Takushi

0 Upvotes
AdamZen
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi @IsaacTakushi,

UPDATE since my last post:

I installed Google Tag Manager on my website, but still Subscribers is still not working on my website.

Please help to diagnose and fix the problem,

Adam

0 Upvotes
Yazz
Top Contributor

SOLVE

I am having the exact same issue trying to use www.subscribers.com to install their worker file to HubSpot. I guess it's not possible, therefore, I cannot use that site and it seems to be quite awesome.

HubSpot, please get on this. I don't think this is going to go away any time soon. I'm sure more and more people are going to ask for it to keep up with the times and new Marketing trends. 

Thanks

0 Upvotes
AdamZen
Contributor

SOLVE

Hello @IsaacTakushi ,

I have created the redirect, however, Subscribers is still not working on my website.

If you can help me trouble shoot, that would be great.

To retrace my steps, chronolgically:

1) I precisely followed all steps 1 to 11 found:

https://support.subscribers.com/support/solutions/articles/35000013040-google-tag-manager-gtm-instal...

2) step 12. of the above instructions was to “install a service worker in the root directory of your website”, which I did using the proxy redirect as suggested.

Some things that come to mind as possible causes of subscribers not working on my website:

a) as per the instructions above I created a Google Tag Manager account and the tag. However, nowehere in the process was there a verifiction step that my website is my website, which I find strange becasue it seems to me that I can create tags for any website without the website owner's permission...? So maybe this tag is not attached to my website?

b) the instructions above do not mention anything about installing Google Tag Manager on my website. Is it assumed by those instructions that GTM is already installed on my website and becasuse it is NOT installed on my website then subscribers is not working?

Any other ideas?

Cheers,

Adam

0 Upvotes
AdamZen
Contributor

SOLVE

I have not encountered any technical roadblocks as I have not attempted to instal the push notifications yet. I have been told by HubSpot support that a HubSpot hosted website can NOT have push notifications. Copy of my corresondence:

Me:

0 Upvotes
kpatel
Participant

SOLVE

great!

looking forward to release. can we get notification once released?

0 Upvotes
IsaacTakushi
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Sure, @kpatel!

I'll post here when the new feature is public.

Isaac Takushi

0 Upvotes