APIs & Integrations

keithhworth

Automation using HubSpot API?

I am an intern at a start-up that uses HubSpot to maintain contacts and their information provided by online forms or from purchased contacts, tasked to clean up the list of all contacts and segment them by industry and sub-industry based on their company.

Is there a way to build automation between previously associated company names and other attributes/properties? I have experience in scripting languages as I am a CS student, but unsure of how I can incorporate the HubSpot API and automation within HubSpot Contacts.

Any help or feedback is greatly appreciated.

0 Upvotes
4 Replies 4
Derek_Gervais
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

Hey @keithhworth ,

There are plenty of ways to use the HubSpot API to automate certain tasks; the details here are going to depend heavily on what specifically you're trying to accomplish. One general note is that HubSpot doesn't have a code hosting/running platform, so any scripts/code/etc that you write needs to be run/hosted elsewhere. Regardless, can you give me some more info on what specifically you're looking to automate so that I have a bettter idea for what sort of recommendations to make?

On an important side note: Emailing purchased lists is against the HubSpot Acceptable Use Policy. I'd recommend communicating this to your team so that nobody runs afoul of the HubSpot Terms of Service. 

0 Upvotes
keithhworth

@Derek_Gervais 

I have an idea to put something together using a CSV file with columns for 'Company Name', 'Email Domain', 'Industry', and 'Respective Sub-industry' to then create a dictionary that associates a 'Company Name' key to 'Industry' value(s). 

Manual documentation of what industry a company belongs in will continue to be mandatory, but I'd like to update new, unfilled contact information with the 'Industry' and 'Sub-industry' with the (hopefully) provided 'Company Name' and/or 'Email Domain' attribute.

I have more experience with writing Python scripts and I know there are wrapper libraries that use the HubSpot API, but I'm not sure how to start.

And the "purchased" contacts came in bulk from a merger between the company I work for and the acquired company, I apologize for being unclear about those contacts.

0 Upvotes
Derek_Gervais
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

Hey @keithhworth ,

No worries, just making sure to mention the Terms of Service stuff. Depending on how exactly you're looking to implement the scripts, and how easy it'd be for you to host the code, it might actually be easier for you to write some simple Python scripts that create CSV files with the relevant info, and then manually import those files into HubSpot.

Regardless of the solution you choose, I'd say a good place to start is to get familiar with the APIs of the object(s) you're looking to work with. In your case, I'd take a look at the Companies API.

0 Upvotes
keithhworth

I anticipated that I may use the workaround you mentioned with updating contacts, but I appreciate your feedback, @Derek_Gervais .