APIs & Integrations

phena109
Participant

Assign task via API behave differently to via workflow

Hi there,

Current I have our system create some of the tasks (Engagement -> TODO). We can set who to assign to set reminder etc. all fine and good, except for 1 thing.

When compare with the behaviour that the same task create through workflow, the workflow version of the task, when assigned to an assignee, it will send an email "You've been assigned the task 'XXX'". The API version, however, does not do that.

I want to send that email and I am sure I have read the API doc and used properly. But this seems to be something only exclude to workflow. Can someone help, please?

0 Upvotes
3 Replies 3
cbarley
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

Hi @phena109 , so that I'm understanding properly, are you saying that when assigning a task to a hubspot user via the API, it doesn't trigger a notification, but when you assign a task to a user via a workflow, it does? Thank you!

0 Upvotes
phena109
Participant

Exactly what you described

0 Upvotes
cbarley
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

Hi @phena109 , after some testing and research, you cannot get notifications for task assignments via the API as per this article:

"Please note: notifications will not be sent out if you manually assign a contact, company, deal, or task to yourself or if you set the owner or custom owner property via the following sources: contact import, Salesforce, or a marketplace integration." This includes API key.

This was also asked here: https://integrate.hubspot.com/t/assignment-notifications-when-changing-task-owner/6628

If you have access to workflows you could trigger a workflow based on task assignment, and then choose to send an internal notification.

Apologies for the inconvenience! I'd suggest posting on our Ideas Forum if you'd like to see this feature added in the future

0 Upvotes