Announcement: Enhanced Field Validation

jmclaren
HubSpot Employee

EDIT: This change has started to take effect. We'll be rolling this out gradually over the next week

What’s Changing?

HubSpot is changing how validation works on some commonly used fields for contacts, including the first and last name.  This change will look for values that are obviously not valid values for the fields.  

Why are we making this change?

This change should help HubSpot customers maintain a cleaner database by rejecting obviously wrong values from being added to properties. This change is also designed to help protect customers from attack. By restricting the values of commonly used fields, it makes it more difficult for attackers to inject potentially harmful values. 

What action is required?

For the vast majority of developers, no action is required. However if you are using the default fields for a purpose other than their original intent, you should create a custom property to hold this information.

When will this change take place?

This change will take effect on February 26, 2020. 

If you have any questions, join the discussion below. 

Jon McLaren

Sr. CMS Developer Advocate

If my reply answered your question, please mark it as a solution, to make it easier for others to find.

4 Replies 4
MFrankJohnson
Thought Leader

Any word on ...

- Which properties will be impacted specifically?

- Examples of the new validation rules?

- What "obviously wrong values" might be rejected?

Thanks in advance.

Note: The date of each post here is increasingly important as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

-- Visit

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

HubSpot's Hiring World-Wide!

0 Upvotes
jmclaren
HubSpot Employee

Hi Frank, 

Good questions, affected fields/properties are standard HubSpot default fields.
An example of both a validation rule and obviously wrong value, would be if you have a first name field and a URL or code was entered instead. 

If you have been intentionally storing data this way we would advise using new custom properties rather than abusing the default properties.

Jon McLaren

Sr. CMS Developer Advocate

If my reply answered your question, please mark it as a solution, to make it easier for others to find.

TheresaB
Participant | Gold Partner

I am having issues with one of my clients because prospects are not all including their area code when inputting a phone number.  Is there any way for phone numbers to be validated?

0 Upvotes
davidwork7
Participant

Dr.ing
D.Med
D.med
Dr.me
Dr.med.

above all text when i add in Firstname all time API give error

Can you give list or format which conider as Invalid TEXT

how can we ideantify its not valid text ?

0 Upvotes