APIs & Integrations

ck2018
Participant

Adding a secondary domain to a Company through the API, how can this be done?

Is there a way to add a secondary domain through the API, similar to the way manual merge works? https://knowledge.hubspot.com/articles/KCS_Article/companies/what-happens-when-i-merge-two-companies

For example, acme.com and acme.us

0 Upvotes
3 Replies 3
Derek_Gervais
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

Hi @Chen_Karniel,

• There isn't anything in beta currently. Secondary domains are tricky since they're not just a list of values, they reflect internal identities. This makes a public API more difficult than just read/write access to a property. I'm not currently aware of any plans to open a public API for managing secondary domain.
  • Similar story for merging company records; because of the interactions with other object types (contacts, deals, etc.) merging companies is slightly more complex than merging contacts. I'm not aware of any plans for a public company merge endpoint.
  • To avoid duplicate companies (where duplicate means the same domain), you can use the 'Search for companies by domain' endpoint to check for existing company records with the domain you're looking to create.

Additionally, I can see the use case for a public endpoint that deduplicates based on company domain. If you have the inclination, I would encourage you to check out the Ideas Forum on the HubSpot Community. There, you can create a post including your use case that product and other customers can see.

https://developers.hubspot.com/docs/methods/companies/search_companies_by_domain

0 Upvotes
Derek_Gervais
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

Hi @Chen_Karniel,

It's not currently possible to add secondary domains to company records via the API. The only way to have company records with 'secondary' domains is to merge two existing records.

0 Upvotes
ck2018
Participant

Hi @Derek_Gervais,

Thanks for clarifying!

Trying to figure out the best alternative in the meantime:

• For adding secondary domain via the API, is that on the near plan or maybe available in beta for partners?

• Similarily, for merging companies via the API, could you share about the plans?

• What would be the recommended workaround to accomplish the goal via the API? (avoiding duplicate company record per domain)

Appreciate the help!

Chen

0 Upvotes