APIs & Integrations

jmauritz
Participant

API Quota Calculation

SOLVE

We're implementing an integration to hubspot and we're worried about quota impacts for our users. Our tests currently shows <0.5% usage when hooking up several connections, positive but some answers on a few questions would be appreciated:

- How is the quota usage generally calculated, are there any extensive guidelines available?

- How does paging influence usage? does every call with a new offset equal a new request?

- Does the size of the request matter? (in terms of contacts properties requested - 5 vs 50) 

Thanks!

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
jackcoldrick
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

API Quota Calculation

SOLVE

Hi @jmauritz ,

If I understand you correctly you are asking about our API limits and the various factors relating to them. There are a couple of things to consider that might help. I've done my best to break them out as clearly as possible.

What product tier you are on:

Firstly I would say that it's important to know what product tier you are on to understand the limits you must work within. You can view that here.

What method of authentication you plan to use:

It's also important to know whether you are using the API key associated with your portal  or an access token obtained through the oAuth flow. Depending on the authentication you are using you would have slightly different limits.  What I mean by that is that an API key has a set number of daily calls and must abide to the set burst limit. However using oAuth you are only subject to a burst limit and no daily limit applies. 

With regards your specific questions I've answered them below:

1) How is the quota usage generally calculated, are there any extensive guidelines available? Any request recieved by our system with an API key will count as a call. I would encourage you to reference the following pieces of documentation. We have no other external facing documents relating to the API limits:

2) How does paging influence usage? does every call with a new offset equal a new request?  Paginiation using the offset parameter would count as an additional call.  For example If you were to use our "get all contacts" endpoint to pull 1000 contacts that would require 10 calls as data is returned in sets of 100.

3)Does the size of the request matter? (in terms of contacts properties requested - 5 vs 50) No it does not impact your rate limits. If you were to use the "get all contacts" endpoint referenced above to pull 1000 contacts and request 50 properties vs 5 properties each page of data = 1 single request.

If you've any more questions I'm more than happy to answer them.

Jack Coldrick
Solutions Engineer @ HubSpot
Add me on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
MFrankJohnson
Thought Leader

API Quota Calculation

SOLVE

- see New API Limits

- see API Usage Guidelines

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
jmauritz
Participant

API Quota Calculation

SOLVE

Yep read through that, thanks! However while informative it doesnt quite answer all of my questions.

0 Upvotes
jackcoldrick
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

API Quota Calculation

SOLVE

Hi @jmauritz ,

If I understand you correctly you are asking about our API limits and the various factors relating to them. There are a couple of things to consider that might help. I've done my best to break them out as clearly as possible.

What product tier you are on:

Firstly I would say that it's important to know what product tier you are on to understand the limits you must work within. You can view that here.

What method of authentication you plan to use:

It's also important to know whether you are using the API key associated with your portal  or an access token obtained through the oAuth flow. Depending on the authentication you are using you would have slightly different limits.  What I mean by that is that an API key has a set number of daily calls and must abide to the set burst limit. However using oAuth you are only subject to a burst limit and no daily limit applies. 

With regards your specific questions I've answered them below:

1) How is the quota usage generally calculated, are there any extensive guidelines available? Any request recieved by our system with an API key will count as a call. I would encourage you to reference the following pieces of documentation. We have no other external facing documents relating to the API limits:

2) How does paging influence usage? does every call with a new offset equal a new request?  Paginiation using the offset parameter would count as an additional call.  For example If you were to use our "get all contacts" endpoint to pull 1000 contacts that would require 10 calls as data is returned in sets of 100.

3)Does the size of the request matter? (in terms of contacts properties requested - 5 vs 50) No it does not impact your rate limits. If you were to use the "get all contacts" endpoint referenced above to pull 1000 contacts and request 50 properties vs 5 properties each page of data = 1 single request.

If you've any more questions I'm more than happy to answer them.

Jack Coldrick
Solutions Engineer @ HubSpot
Add me on LinkedIn