APIs & Integrations

chATHomeServe

API Integration Approach

Hi Guys,

Forgive me as I am a noob to HubSpot and in need of advice. We have an app that authenticates users (PCKE) with our ForgeRock Oauth2 platform and allows the app to pass in access tokens thus allowing access to the customer data from our web site API (which validates the access token). 

We have decided to use HubSpot to capture some really basic marketing preferences however we are unsure of the best approach to communicating with HubSpot: APIKey or OAuth2. 

At present, the user registers an account via the app and this creates an ForgeRock account that in turn, allows them to log into the app (the website too) using SSO and see their data and holdings. As part of this process we need to capture how they want to be marketed to. This marketing page is a web view and not native to the app. What we are trying to do is establish over time a list of contacts with child properties each of which stipulates if they want to receive email, sms etc. 

I am probably way off mark here but would each customer need a seperate hubspot account and thus would need to authenticate twice (once for a ForgeRock access/refresh token and then for a Hubspot access/token) or do we simply have a kind of super user account that we use to get a short lived access token for Hubspot that all customers use to push information into HubSpot? Forgive me for the dumb question but this is giving me an icecream headache.

0 Upvotes
1 Reply 1
WendyGoh
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

API Integration Approach

Hey @chATHomeServe,

No forgiving needed 🙂 Happy to help shed some lights here!

Just to make sure that we're on the same page, you'd like to clarify if a user of a portal install the app on their HubSpot portal, would other users have to install the app? 

If so, once an app have been installed on a portal by probably the super admin of the account, the app will be portal specific. This means that when other user login, they will see the app on their portal, as such they do not have to install the app again. I hope this helps to clarify the query!

0 Upvotes