APIs & Integrations

carolynebrownle
Membre

API Contact search custom property

Résolue

Since the api for search on custom property doesnt exist i have to find a workaround. Im thinking of retrieving all contacts and then looping through each contact - extracting that property and then checking it against the search criteria

The problem im having is what API do i use to get all contacts? the current one limits to 100 results returned which doesnt help me.

Please give me some ideas

1 Solution acceptée
carolynebrownle
Solution
Membre

Résolue

Thanks Connor - we managed to narrow it down to the actual server where the request was being submitted from.
All is now sorted

Voir la solution dans l'envoi d'origine

9 Réponses
hridayesh
Participant

Résolue

Hi @carolynebrownle,

did you get any solution for "API Contact search custom property"? I have the same requirement.

Thanks!

CC: @cbarley 

carolynebrownle
Membre

Résolue

OK thanks Connor it is working now :smiley:

0 Votes
carolynebrownle
Membre

Résolue

ok next problem - this isnt going to work. To do multiple requests going through each page is not fast enough. We having multiple queries a day and its not going to work in having users wait for a response. it takes 5 minutes to go through 64 pages

Are you sure there isnt another way? is there no way this development requirement could be bumped up the dev queue?

0 Votes
cbarley
Ancien salarié HubSpot
Ancien salarié HubSpot

Résolue

Hi @carolynebrownlee, do you have an example of the code you've written that paginates through your contacts? My code on github I shared earlier will paginate through about 300 contacts in batches of 10 in about 5 seconds. If I bump up the limit to 100 per request, it gets returned back to me in under 2 seconds. 5 minutes seems incredibly long. How many properties are you requesting, and how many contacts are you paginating through? You should be able to get up to 100 at a time

Pagination is a pretty common design pattern for APIs such as the contacts api and we do not have plans to alter it at the moment.

carolynebrownle
Solution
Membre

Résolue

Thanks Connor - we managed to narrow it down to the actual server where the request was being submitted from.
All is now sorted

cbarley
Ancien salarié HubSpot
Ancien salarié HubSpot

Résolue

Hi @carolynebrownlee, Agreed this endpoint is a bit complex. The endpoint returns a few fields by default (lastmodifieddate firstname and lastname). When you specify a property in the URL, you will get back that field on a contact if that contact has a value for that field.

Here's an example URL: api.hubapi.com/contacts/v1/lists/all/contacts/all?hapikey=XXXXXXXXX&property=lifecyclestage&property...

For your other question

When I go to this URL I can see the offset in the url is different from the offset in the response.

In the url we have 9153424 and in the response we have 9153924

0 Votes
cbarley
Ancien salarié HubSpot
Ancien salarié HubSpot

Résolue

Hi @carolynebrownlee! What is your end goal when searching for a specific custom property? If you are curious to see just the properties, you should be able to use this endpoint: https://developers.hubspot.com/docs/methods/contacts/v2/get_contacts_properties. If you're looking for the actual values on each contact, then the get all contacts endpoint is your best bet. You'll need to paginate through all of your contacts 100 at a time by using the has-more and vid-offset properties returned back to you.

I created a program that I pushed to Github that loops through contacts. Take a look here for an example! https://github.com/cbarley10/hubspot-pagination

0 Votes
carolynebrownle
Membre

Résolue

Thanks so much for your response. I will accomodate this work around.
However it would really be helpful if we could do custom searches such as "&CustomPropertyName=TESTValue"

carolynebrownle
Membre

Résolue

Can you help me with the URL - i only want to return a specific property for all contacts

Is this correct?

https://api.hubapi.com/contacts/v1/lists/all/contacts/all?property=company_reg&propertyMode=value_on...

im asking because its not working

even when i add the &vidOffset={value returned in previous call where has_more was true) doesnt appear to be working either because the vidOffset returned is the same with has_more = true.

Very confusing the options available on this API

per example API documentation

https://api.hubapi.com/contacts/v1/lists/all/contacts/all?hapikey=demo&count=5&property=company&prop...

doesnt return only that propery

then the response says ....has-more":true,"vid-offset":9153424}

so then i resend the url with an offset but it returns the same vid offset?

https://api.hubapi.com/contacts/v1/lists/all/contacts/all?hapikey=demo&count=5&property=company&prop...

0 Votes