⚙ Operations Hub

NGaebler

What Level/Difficulty of Java is Used in Operations Hub?

The company I work for will most likely be upgrading to Operations Hub Professional. I know Java is used in the custom workflows and some other features, but I have very little experience with the language. I'm curious what level of Java is used for these processes? And about how long it would take someone who has an intermediate level of experience with languages like python and sql to learn enough Java to utilize these features?

4 Replies 4
jbogaert
HubSpot Moderator
HubSpot Moderator

No problem! Also, just FYI, I believe the team is working on having code actions supporting other languages (I think Python is on the table), but I wouldn't wait for it. I don't believe this is a short/mid term priority.

0 Upvotes
ChrisoKlepke
Key Advisor | Elite Partner
Key Advisor | Elite Partner

It's already lice for a bit, but I'm just going to leave that here: 
https://community.hubspot.com/t5/Releases-and-Updates/Now-Live-Python-Support-in-Workflows/ba-p/5437...

0 Upvotes
jbogaert
HubSpot Moderator
HubSpot Moderator

Hi @NGaebler,

Great question! I did want to clarify that the language used for custom code actions is JavaScript. It gets mixed up a lot with Java. Not sure if it was a typo, but I wouldn't want you to start learning the wrong language there 😅

I only know Javascript myself, so I can't speak about the learning curve of adopting it, but the most important thing to learn will be writting API requests in Javascript because these actions will require you to fetch and push data from different kinds of systems.

I believe that once you get a hold of APIs, it simply comes down to learning the JavaScript fundamentals so you know how to write out the functions that you need. If you want to know what other actions users have written, you can find a list of code snippets here.

0 Upvotes
NGaebler

Thanks for catching my error. JavaScript is what I meant, guess I need another cup of coffee. Anyway, thank you for clarifying the important aspects of JS needed, that will help me focus my attention if I do end up diving into the learning process. Appreciate the help!

0 Upvotes