⚙ Operations Hub

mbarba
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

To outsource operations or not to outsource operations? That is the question.

Community Post_OH_0012 Canva Graphic.png

-----

For today’s post, I want to talk about what your team looks like and how you plan to implement the use of programmable automation in Operations Hub.

Do you have anyone or any team dedicated to operations?

If you do have ops people, do any of them have proficiency in JavaScript, which is the language Custom Code Actions use?

I’d love to hear what your team looks like and whether you plan to manage programmable automation in-house or outsource it.

10 Replies 10
mbarba
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

@LROADY I'm happy to take a look into this for you and get back to you! Stay tuned :).

0 Upvotes
mbarba
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

@JenBergren this is priceless. Thank you so much for sharing this with me! I'll have to share with our team :).

@LROADY What would you like to hear about in particular? Do you have any specific questions?

LROADY
Contributor

@mbarba Specifically I am looking for thoughts about outsource versus direct hire a role for MOps in an in-house marketing team (specifically in b2b tech). 

0 Upvotes
Connorj13
Contributor | Elite Partner
Contributor | Elite Partner

If you have marketing leadership in place, a marketing team, and mid level managers built in, make a direct hire. All of  @maggiebutler's points are true, but in order to make someone like that successful you need a lot of leadership and top level infrastructure to make that person successful. 

Do you have campaign templates, checklists, systems diagrams, your KPI and reporting infrastructure, and all the things that support a single marketing ops person in place for them to do great work every day? 

If you don't have those things, outsource for sure. The benefit of working with a MOps provider is that they have the experience, management, accountability, and expertise already built in to their org (if they're good and not just a staffing firm anyway). You will benefit tremendously from them carrying the ball most of the way there and being able to provide them with vague directions and receive completed tasks. 

We do this service a lot for our customers and they typically bring it on for B2B tech at ~25 employees and we scale them up to ~100-150 before they have the volume of work and the infrastructure to bring it in house. We then help them hire and train this person to transition to in house support. 

A8 Labs

maggiebutler
HubSpot Moderator
HubSpot Moderator

@LROADY wrote:

@mbarba Specifically I am looking for thoughts about outsource versus direct hire a role for MOps in an in-house marketing team (specifically in b2b tech). 

@LROADY I worked in-house here at HubSpot in MOPs for 5 years. One pro I would call out is the trust you build as a FTE with the group of folks you work with. Sometimes, okay, often as Ops we are tasked with making changes within the org that can cause the in-house marketing team to change the way they work - and there needs to be trust on all sides that all voices were heard, and there's ongoing support through the changes to reduce friction. One con would be that it's easy to 'make it easy' for the in-house marketing team re: making changes, so the changes that actually need to happen to make an impact on the business aren't always done 100% to completion - an outsourced hire can sometime care less about the emotional impact / changes to the way work is done in order to make the most impactful change. In both instances, it takes the right hire to build trust and make impact, no matter where you sit in the org. 

maggiebutler
HubSpot Moderator
HubSpot Moderator

@LROADY wrote:

@Connorj13 Connor, curious about your thoughts here - in your opinion, what are you pros (and maybe cons?) to outsourcing operations? 

0 Upvotes
LROADY
Contributor

I'm interested to hear perspective from an in-house team. (Context: B2B Tech company, using HubSpot CMS & Marketing hubs, trying to determine how to best scale with growing team and complicated martech stack)

0 Upvotes
JenBergren
Guide

At our 14 person agency, we have 2 people dedicated to operations. This is probably a higher percentage than average since we are a HubSpot RevOps and WebOps agency, we need to walk our talk about ops 🙂  For example, our clients outsource their HubSpot operations to us.

Neither of us are developers, but we have a HubSpot developer on our team we can task with Javascript if needed for internal tasks, when they are not busy with client work.

Thanks,

Jen Bergren

Sr. Operations Manager
Remotish -- a HubSpot RevOps and WEbOps agency

Thanks!
Jen Bergren
Human-Centered Operations Leader, HubSpot SuperFan, Instructional Design and Lifelong Learning Advocate
Connect with me on Linkedin
mbarba
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Hi @JenBergren! This is so insightful! For the two people you have dedicated to operations, what do their jobs entail? I'd love to dive into that a little more. Additionally, are they client-facing and work on your clients' operations? Or, do they work on your company's internal operations? Or both?

JenBergren
Guide

Hi! We both work on internal projects, we are not on the client services team so we are not client-facing. I have minor interactions with the client accounting/finance departments since I handle invoicing and collecting payment. You can see our job descriptions here:

https://www.remotish.agency/hubspot-revops-agency/careers/revops-coordinator
https://www.remotish.agency/operations-manager?hs_preview=oiQlIStV-38298181547 (let me know if this one doesn't work, the page is archived)

Thanks for asking!
Jen Bergren
Sr. Operations Manager
Remotish -- A HubSpot RevOps and WebOps Agency

Thanks!
Jen Bergren
Human-Centered Operations Leader, HubSpot SuperFan, Instructional Design and Lifelong Learning Advocate
Connect with me on Linkedin
0 Upvotes