⚙ Operations Hub

Deeangelique
Membro

Shopify & Mailchimp sync - where did 5k new subscribers come from?!

We want to make use of the HubSpot Freel Tools (no budget to upgrade so no sales referrals please!) and have synced our Shopify store and Mailchimp account about a week ago.

Then this morning, I noticed that almost 5,000 new contacts were added to our Mailchimp from Hubspot. I have no idea where these came from, as any Shopify contacts who subscribe to our newseltters are automatically synced with Mailchimp already.

So does this mean it has synced 5k contacts who were NOT subscribed?? Surely Hubspot knows that we would not/cannot contact customers who have not opted in?? 

The worst part is that all 5k of these new subscribers were automatically placed in our welcome journey, so have received an email from us despite potentially never subscribing.

Is anyone able to advise or offer any help on how we can avoid this happening any more? Starting to think that HubSpot free tools are just a way to entice people to the paid plans, so maybe it's best if we just close our account? Not really sure what the benefit is of the free tools if we have no control 🤔

0 Avaliação positiva
2 Respostas 2
danmoyle
Participante de valor | Parceiro Elite
Participante de valor | Parceiro Elite

@Deeangelique depending on which integration you used, you've found an issue I've seen others run into. With the Mailchimp "Sync contacts and email activity" integration, you'll see that there's a one-way sync for HubSpot contacts into Mailchimp:

danmoyle_0-1660156946451.png

As @jbogaert shared, creating sync rules and lists would important here. 

If you're using the data sync option in the integrations(which requires Operations Hub), you'll have a more 2-way sync, but I'd advise the same way and ensure you're setting up some kind of sync rules ahead of time, like an inclusion list. 

In both scenarios, I would advise my client to first consider what they're syncing, and map out the process, before turning the sync on. 

Did my answer help? Please "mark as a solution" to help others find answers. Plus I really appreciate it!

Dan Moyle

HubSpot Advisor

LearningOps | Impulse Creative

emailAddress
dan@impulsecreative.com
website
https://impulsecreative.com/
jbogaert
Moderador da HubSpot
Moderador da HubSpot

Hi @Deeangelique 

Let me start off by saying I'm really sorry to hear this has happened to you. It's a real pain. Hopefully, we can get to the root cause and prevent you from having this issue in the future

It's really difficult to troubleshoot what has happened here without any insight into the way your data syncs are configured. If you have any screenshots of your configuration, please attach them.

However, seeing that you've not mentioned that you used a filter/inclusion list to define what contacts needed to be kept in sync, I'm assuming you set your sync up to sync ALL HubSpot contacts to Mailchimp.... If that's the case, then there's your root cause.

@Deeangelique wrote:

Surely Hubspot knows that we would not/cannot contact customers who have not opted in?? 

I'm afraid not... HubSpot will not decide for you which contacts should be kept in sync. The onus is on the user to set filters that dictate what contacts should be kept in sync and what contact should not.