⚙ Operations Hub

SSamani
Participant

Running a workflow on a list waiting for each item to complete

SOLVE

Hi there, 

I want to run a workflow on a List of custom objects. I would like each object to complete its run through the workflow before starting the next.

At the moment, I can manually enrol a list to a workflow, but they are all kicked off simultaneously. 

Is there any way to do this?

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @SSamani,

Have you considered using the random percentage branches for this purpose, if needed nesting branches within branches?

You could add different delays (10 minutes, 20 minutes, 30 minutes etc) in each branch before getting to the API step - eliminating lists and breaking the overall list into neat chunks which get handled at different delays.

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
5 Replies 5
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @SSamani,

This is not possible, no. Can you explain why you want to achieve this behavior? Maybe there's a different approach that accomplishes the same thing.

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

0 Upvotes
SSamani
Participant

SOLVE

The Workflow calls an API of a third party system. Normally in day to day use, the calls to this API via the Workflow are infrequent and reliable. However we have made a change that requires a large number of objects to be refreshed. The third party system's API cannot handle a large number of simultaneous calls. To ensure everything stays in sync between HubSpot and the third party system, we would ideally run in through the Workflow. We just need to throttle the rate at which it is run.

I have tried creating smaller and smaller lists that I enrol onto the workflow, but it going to be a large task to run each of those lists through manually. 

I would like to be able to take the full list and let it run and be done when its done.

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @SSamani,

Have you considered using the random percentage branches for this purpose, if needed nesting branches within branches?

You could add different delays (10 minutes, 20 minutes, 30 minutes etc) in each branch before getting to the API step - eliminating lists and breaking the overall list into neat chunks which get handled at different delays.

Karsten Köhler

0 Upvotes
SSamani
Participant

SOLVE

Yes, that's was what I was just about to try, went off for a cup of tea and came back with a similar thought. I might create a workflow that waits a random time and then calls the workflow I want.

0 Upvotes
james-portant
Contributor

SOLVE

Hey @SSamani & @karstenkoehler 
We have a similar reuierement and this is a cool solution. I'm also going to try it now.
Thanks for your thread!
Cheers,
James

0 Upvotes