⚙ Operations Hub

bh56

Google Contact Integration - Drop Contact - Sync Rule

SOLVE

I'm on the Hubspot Free plan.

I enabled the Google Contacts integration.

I have a sync rule for a certain lable/group.

I think I know the answer, but thought I would ask.

Is the only way to clean up records after they have been synced is to delete on the the other side as delete is not delivered functionality.

So, if Google is my Contacts "master".  If I clean up on the Google side, then I just go tho Hubspot and delete any contacts in Hubspot(assuming I don't have anything associated) and re-sync.

I changed the label, where it should no longer get synced.  As there is no delete, the record remains iin Hubspot.

So, wanted to confirm that how I defined is how I should manage this.

Thanks!

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
jbogaert
Solution
HubSpot Moderator
HubSpot Moderator

SOLVE

Yes, that is the one that will be picked.

Take the contact record below. There are 3 email addresses. The one listed first is dhickman@hubspot.com so that one will be used to create a contact record in HubSpot.

Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 9.23.37 AM.png

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
jbogaert
HubSpot Moderator
HubSpot Moderator

SOLVE

Hi @bh56 

Good question! In short, yes. Deletions will need to be carried out manually in both apps.

When you set up a rule that syncs a contact, and then later the rule changes or the contact changes, causing the contact to not match the sync rules anymore, then that contact will indeed remain in the connected app (in this case, HubSpot). However, that contact will not be kept in sync anymore.

The Google Contacts Data Sync integration indeed does not sync deletions. It will only create and update contacts. So if you delete a contact in Google Contacts, then you will still need to manually delete that same record in HubSpot.

In my professional opinion though I would recommend finding an alternative to manually deleting contacts. Having to go through that process each time you change a record in Google Contacts obviously doesn't scale. You can store up to one million records in HubSpot's Free CRM whereas Google Contacts has a hard limit at 25,000, so there is some leeway to have additional records in HubSpot. Alternatively, contacts you don't use anymore might be useless to have on your phone, but they can still serve a purpose in your CRM: for reporting, analytics, etc.

Hope this helps!

bh56

SOLVE

Thanks for the confimration and further details on how this integration works.

I have one more related question.

As there is no default email (at least from what I know in Google Contacts).  So, what email from Google contacts get synced to Hubspot.  Is there a way to define which one is the default/primary?

0 Upvotes
jbogaert
HubSpot Moderator
HubSpot Moderator

SOLVE

That's actually an excellent question!

When Data Sync is creating a new contact in HubSpot, then it will use the email address that is listed first in Google Contact. If that contact record has any additional email addresses in Google, then those will be left out and they won't sync to HubSpot.

To give you some more background on this. As you can see in the graphic below Data Sync has mapped the 'Emails' field in Google Contacts with the 'Email' field in HubSpot. What that "means" is that Google Contacts uses a property that can house multiple email addresses. Whereas HubSpot uses a different kind of property. HubSpot's Email field is basically a single-line text field. So that's where that behavior ultimately comes from.

Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 5.45.12 PM.png

bh56

SOLVE

When you say first email, is this the one that is listed first in the Google Contact?  Or how is this determined?

0 Upvotes
jbogaert
Solution
HubSpot Moderator
HubSpot Moderator

SOLVE

Yes, that is the one that will be picked.

Take the contact record below. There are 3 email addresses. The one listed first is dhickman@hubspot.com so that one will be used to create a contact record in HubSpot.

Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 9.23.37 AM.png

bh56

SOLVE

Thanks so much for the confirmation!

0 Upvotes