⚙ Operations Hub

svamann
Participant

Fetch and format date in Workflow

SOLVE

I have a workflow that fetches a Date property from a custom object in custom code and returns this.

Screenshot 2024-06-07 at 10.37.39.png

This steps works like a charm, returning the expected value when I test it.

Screenshot 2024-06-07 at 10.37.16.png

Now at a later point in the same workflow, I try to format the date for display purposes, depending on conversation language, so there's multiple branches doing a different formatting each. Since event_start is a Date (tried Datetime as well), I assumed I can use a Format data step like this:

Screenshot 2024-06-07 at 10.40.27.png

But this step fails when the workflow runs. Its kinda hard to debug, because the log just says "Action failed" without any more details. I assume that somehow the format of event_start does not match the expectations of the Format data step.

Before I now replace the Format data step by another custom code, I would be curious whether I'm doing something wrong or whether this is indeed not possible this way 🤔

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
Jnix284
Solution
Hall of Famer | Elite Partner

SOLVE

@svamann you said that it doesn't matter if you use Date or DateTime, but there is a differentiation in the backend - how is start_date defined? Is it a date picker (date) or DateTime?

Here's the dev doc for Date vs DateTime - I think this is the source of the error

If my reply answered your question please mark it as a solution to make it easier for others to find.

Jennifer Nixon - Delivery Lead at Aptitude 8

connect with Jen on Linkedin

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
8 Replies 8
PamCotton
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hey @svamann, Happy Friday!

It looks like you're encountering an issue with formatting a date in your workflow. Ensure that the date format returned by your custom code matches the expected format for the Format data step. The Format data step might require a specific date format (e.g., ISO 8601).

To our top experts @danmoyle and @HFisher7 do you have any recommendations for @svamann matter?

Thank you,

Pam 

Você sabia que a Comunidade está disponível em outros idiomas?
Participe de conversas regionais, alterando suas configurações de idioma !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

0 Upvotes
danmoyle
Most Valuable Member | Elite Partner
Most Valuable Member | Elite Partner

SOLVE

Honestly I'd tag in @Jnix284 on this one. I think she's done some custom coding in workflows - more than me, anyway! 

Did my answer help? Please "mark as a solution" to help others find answers. Plus I really appreciate it!

Dan Moyle

HubSpot Advisor

LearningOps | Impulse Creative

emailAddress
dan@impulsecreative.com
website
https://impulsecreative.com/
Jnix284

SOLVE

Thanks for the tag @danmoyle and I apologize for the delayed response @svamann - were you able to solve the issue with your CCA?

If my reply answered your question please mark it as a solution to make it easier for others to find.

0 Upvotes
svamann
Participant

SOLVE
I worked around it with custom code. Works, but I would sure like to understand why the formatting action fails… would be much more convenient to just use the native formatting action!
0 Upvotes
Jnix284

SOLVE

I'm glad you found a solution @svamann, without rebuilding the workflow and CCA, it'd be hard to say why it failed based on the info provided. 

0 Upvotes
svamann
Participant

SOLVE

So what information would you need to answer this?

I'm fetching the date property from the API in my custom code.

Screenshot 2024-06-19 at 08.41.15.png

and return the value as is

Screenshot 2024-06-19 at 08.42.12.png

The return type is declared as Date (using DateTime, makes no difference). And displays as "2024-06-12" when I test the step (see the screenshot in my original post above).

This output I seen directly feed into the format-date action.

From the above a gather that this might be an issue of the data format. I assumed that any "Date" would fit into a format date step and I can't find any explicit requirement on the date format of such a step. If there is, I'd appreciate a pointer!

0 Upvotes
Jnix284
Solution

SOLVE

@svamann you said that it doesn't matter if you use Date or DateTime, but there is a differentiation in the backend - how is start_date defined? Is it a date picker (date) or DateTime?

Here's the dev doc for Date vs DateTime - I think this is the source of the error

0 Upvotes
svamann
Participant

SOLVE

@Jnix284 it's a date picker. Choosing either Date or DateTime for the custom code output does not make an observable difference in the output I see when testing the custom code action (it's "yyyy-mm-dd" in both cases) and in the error I see from the format date action. There may, of course, be a difference in what happens under the hood.

Thanks for the link, it explains the output format of the API, which matches what I see when testing my custom code action. Is there also documentation on the expected input format of the format date action?

I always thought it's just not possible to create DateTime custom properties at all, now I learned it's possible via the API! Thanks for this insight 🙂

0 Upvotes