⚙ Operations Hub

Hawk-Steve
Top Contributor

Creating a control group using contact ID and format data action

SOLVE

Morning team!

I have an interesting one I'd like to ask you guys about today, control groups. Several teams I work with use them to help track the success of campaigns, etc. Usually taking 10% who do not take part in the campaign. 

Currently, the team export new contacts, divide them up into groups 0-9 (Taking the 3rd to the last digit in their contact ID), then reimporting them with their new segments. A bit of a time-waster! This should be automatable.

I feel like this should be possible through format data action in a workflow, but haven't got there yet.

Can you guys think of a way of clipping the first/last characters from the ID to retrieve 1 digit? Maybe even dividing/rounding/etc the contact ID down into 1 digit? The end goal being an even spread of contacts across 10 control groups 0-9.

(No cheating and saying custom code action 😉, I want the team to be able to do this without dev interaction if possible)

Steve

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @Hawk-Steve,

Without custom code, that would only leave an integration like Zapier, for example. Send contacts into a Google Sheet, assign a random number via a Google Sheet function, sync that number back into the contact record. This would require a one time setup but not coding from end users. You could then easily build lists of the lower and the upper half of the numbers range.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @Hawk-Steve,

Without custom code, that would only leave an integration like Zapier, for example. Send contacts into a Google Sheet, assign a random number via a Google Sheet function, sync that number back into the contact record. This would require a one time setup but not coding from end users. You could then easily build lists of the lower and the upper half of the numbers range.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.