📝 Resources

maggiebutler
Por: Moderador de HubSpot
Moderador de HubSpot

Customer Experience-Focused RevOps

As a former marketing professional and a current marketer, I know how important it is to always start my work thinking about the customer experience. I was reminded of this when I read a recent blog post by Jenn Deering Davis, co-founder, and head of marketing at Gradient Works, who participated in our March 19 discussion on Clubhouse in our very own club, Revenue Operations.

According to Jenn, the customer experience needs to be at the center of all RevOps work. And, she warned, “operations folks cannot exempt themselves from this.” 

Key to Revenue Growth

The reason is clear: customers who are satisfied with their experience will generate more revenue for your company. This means that companies need to review and improve customer interactions with their products, solutions, or services, salespeople, ads, website, and anything else that might impact the customer experience.

Leaving your customer experience to chance risks your customers becoming dissatisfied, a greater likelihood that they’ll leave your company for your competitors, and thus decreased revenue for your company.

As Jenn points out, your RevOps can be critical to converting your customers’ satisfaction into revenue growth. In order to improve the customer experience, companies need to make sure they’re aligned as part of honing their “revenue engines.”

Horizontal Alignment

RevOps teams that are organized in vertical silos work in counterproductive ways. Some team members focus on new business while others work on customer retention, for example. However, this results in delays, potential conflicts, and lost opportunities for more business.

By contrast, RevOps teams that are aligned horizontally enable their leaders to be successful by providing them with “a holistic view of the full customer lifecycle and the ability to orchestrate the entire revenue system, “ according to Jenn. Horizontal alignment encompasses brand positioning, forecasting, account assignment rules, and understanding milestones in the customer journey among others.

Prioritizing Customers, Not Technology or Processes

Jenn urges companies to see their customers at the core of their operations decisions rather than prioritizing their processes or technology. She believes that “everyone needs customer-facing experience” in order to talk to customers, learn how they think, and understand their needs and issues.

Discussing the “voice of the customer” with RevOps teams and giving them insights into the customer experience would be highly beneficial. Examples include having RevOps team members attend regular meetings with customers, recording customer calls and distributing them internally, and sharing user experience (UX) and user interface (UI) research results.

While companies are already aware that they need to ensure that their product teams know the customers, they also need to do the same for their RevOps folks. This is something I’ll keep in mind as I learn more about RevOps.