📝 Resources

maggiebutler
Von: HubSpot-Moderator/-in
HubSpot-Moderator/-in

Try This: The Gartner From/To/Because Model for Working Collaboratively

If you search for 'benefits of RevOps' or articles about implementing a RevOps strategy, you're destined to find a sentence like this: "A RevOps strategy is a way to break down the operational silos you've built up and get everyone aligned." It's true - the whole point of a RevOps strategy is to share knowledge so that planning, support and enablement can actually make Ops teams more productive, not add friction into your day-to-day work. You know the old phrase: work smarter, not harder. Sounds dreamy, right? 

But what a lot of these articles don't say is how to actually do it. The question of how you actually break down the silos and starting working better, together, under a RevOps strategy isn't always answered in the content you find.

So when I saw this resource from Stack Overflow on Gartner's From/To/Because Model, I thought the prescription was great and wanted to share it with you. Here's how it works: you use this framework to document the specific behaviors you expect from teams you are working with, to get starting point of where everyone is today and where everyone wants to be once the silos are broken:

• From: describe the way people behave today so that there is obvious contrast between the way that work gets done today and what you expect moving forward (“To”).
  • To: for each “From” point, describe what working collaboratively means in your organization.
  • Because: describe why the change is necessary, and not just for a single group, but for the organization overall.

More detailed instructions here.

I love these kind of prescriptive frameworks because it gives you a starting point. Behavior changes can be really, really hard - personal or professional - especially when it's not just you working on yourself, but a group of people trying to make a collective change. We've all been there, right?

Have you used this framework before, or any other framework that's helped you break down silos at your company? I'd love to know what's worked for you. Let me know in the comments!