📅 Events

maggiebutler
HubSpot Moderator
HubSpot Moderator

[Now Closed] AMA: Channing Ferrer, SVP Sales Strategy & Operations

HubSpot's SVP of Sales Strategy and Operations, Channing Ferrer, hosted a webinar in August 2020 focused on sharing the lessons he's learned designing sales teams. Click here to get the recording, or click here for the slides.

The Q&A with Channing below is now closed. Check out the thread for answers to questions like:

•  What are the top 3 attributes or skills you hire for? 
  • How do you balance Sales & Account Management roles?
  • What were the greatest win and greatest lessons learned from experiments you ran?
  • My question is how have trained or incentivized Sales members to enter the data they need into HubSpot?

67 Replies 67
Channing-Ferrer
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

@JenBergren wrote:

Thanks Maggie!

A question I see in groups a lot and am curious about myself is if there is a good way to judge when to introduce ops roles or departments to help sales teams, such as once the team has grown to a certain size, or other factors to use. As an ops person I would say "at the very beginning" but I realize that is not how most companies think!

I think people are looking for a magic number, like I saw one blog say once you have 100 people in your company you should have an internal RevOps department, and under 100 should have individual ops roles... I know there is no magic ratio but I would like to hear Channing's advice and experience.

Our agency is usually hired to help companies with ops later than ideally, so we have to clean up a lot of messes due to a lack of ops before us. So how can companies know they need to hire and/ or form ops departments before things get too messy and start breaking would be another way to phrase this 🙂

I signed up to get the recording, unfortunately, I have a conflict on Thursday. I look forward to watching!

@JenBergren Thanks for your question. My suggestion is to discuss ratios and start early with hiring Ops. Today I talked about phases of growth and suggesting this hire in the $2-10m stage, but start w Ops at $2m and a handful of reps. Here are the slides - https://bit.ly/channingslides

JenBergren
Guide

Thanks so much, Channing!

Thanks!
Jen Bergren
Human-Centered Operations Leader, HubSpot SuperFan, Instructional Design and Lifelong Learning Advocate
Connect with me on Linkedin
0 Upvotes
jennysowyrda
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for getting this conversation started, @maggiebutler

@ShanePunt@GuyTaylor@dianalcont@AdamLPW@rikkilear@Krystina I thought you may be interested in participated in this conversation! 🙂 

0 Upvotes
MegInVA62
Participant

You answered questions about the characteristics you look for in sales / BDR. What characteristics do you look for in a sales manager? Do you look for a super-star sales person or are there other things you look for?

Channing-Ferrer
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

@MegInVA62 wrote:

You answered questions about the characteristics you look for in sales / BDR. What characteristics do you look for in a sales manager? Do you look for a super-star sales person or are there other things you look for?

@MegInVA62 Identifying a good manager is often very different from identifying a good sales rep. While there are some overlapping skills, managers also must have a unique set of attributes that allow them to get the best out of their teams. When looking for a good sales manager I look at a series of attributes (innate to the individual, hard to train on): Commitment to win, Intellectual curiosity, critical thinking and coachability. In addition, I will also look for a series of skills (trainable): organization, customer first mentality, active listening, challenger selling and closing mentality. The combination of these attributes and skills are what make a strong sales manager. 

0 Upvotes