📅 Events

maggiebutler
Moderador de HubSpot
Moderador de HubSpot

[Closed] Exclusive Conversation with Jon Dick, VP Marketing @ HubSpot

Thanks for participating! The thread is now closed; Jon will be back soon for another AMA. If you would like to connect with subject matter experts in #opslife, please post a new question here.

We’re excited to host an exclusive ask-me-anything session right here in #OpsLife with @JonDick , VP Marketing. Jon leads the go-to-market & operations marketing strategy at HubSpot and has 10+ years of experience leading Marketing teams at companies like Klout and Trunk Club. 

On Tuesday 7/28 at 12pm ET, Jon will be answering your questions here on all things marketing strategy and operations, so be sure to leave your questions on this thread before then or UPVOTE questions you want more detail on.

Here are some examples of things to ask Jon about:

• Data strategy
  • Cross-team alignment
  • System roadmaps
  • Annual Planning
  • Go-to-market for consumer & enterprise products
  • Positioning & thought leadership
  • Digital demand generation
  • Social & content strategies
  • Online & Offline Direct Response Advertising
  • Marketing attribution 
57 Respuestas 57
SusanSchramm
Miembro

What do you think the most important thing to focus on when planning for your business amidst all this uncertainty?

0 Me gusta
JonDick
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

@SusanSchramm wrote:

What do you think the most important thing to focus on when planning for your business amidst all this uncertainty?

HI @SusanSchramm - I think the most important thing is to focus on how your buyer is changing due to the uncertainty. Here are some of the ways that HubSpot thought our buyers would be changing in light of the pandemic: 

• Focus on cost and budget flexibility
  • Businesses moving online
  • Industries impacted differently
  • Increased demand for education
  • Renewed openness to change

So we tried to ensure that our investments and plans were aligned to deliver on our customer expectations.

0 Me gusta
JosephBeam
Participante | Partner
Participante | Partner

Data Strategy -

I'd love to see some updates regarding file/folder organization in Hubspot. The current system is a bit disjointed and can be very unintuitive for new users.

This user framed the issue quite well:

Hi,

I noticed there are a few separate requests for folders in separate areas of Hubspot, but couldn't find a more general idea like this, so I figured, let's create something new. Sorry it's not as specific, but I feel like in practice, this could all be 1 big improvement epic.

As a marketing and admin user, I'd like folder functionality to:

A) work the same across Emails, Landing pages, Workflows, Contact Lists and anything else where there's more than one of it. 

Currently, I can create subfolders for emails, but not for landing pages. This is tedious, as our projects are usually divided and organized across more than one axle.

For example:

Events/Event 1

Events/Event 2

Or even deeper:

Evergreen Campaigns/Evergreen 1/Landing Pages

Evergreen Campaigns/Evergreen 1/Confirmation Pages

etc.

B) make the folders actually behave like folders in a file system (like Finder or Windows Explorer).

For example with emails: right now, I can create folders til I'm blue in the face, but the default view is always the root list of everything, no matter where these emails are actually stored. I have to click Folders, then navigate to the folder the email(s) I'm working on is/are in, every time the emails list loads.

This last bit is crucial and really annoying for general workflow speed. I experienced these two annoying things today:

• I'm working on some changes for a set of campaign emails that a campaign manager gave me. So I go to the folder I sorted them in, open an email to edit it, save it, but then there's only the back to all emails dashboard button, which takes me back to the List view with all emails unsorted. I have to go back to Folders and navigate back to the folder I was in if I want to work on other emails in the same folder. 
  • I needed to clone an email 10 times, within the context of a single campaign. But clicking Clone on an email A) opens the new cloned email straight away, forcing me to go back to the folder via that long route, and B) places the cloned email in the root (!) rather than in the same folder that the original was in. 

To summarize: for daily operation I'd love it if there was a unified folder system across all assets, that behaves more like you'd expect from a folder system:

• easily copy/paste files
  • merge list/folder views into one, with folders above unsorted files
  • drag/drop items into folders to move them
  • folders within folders
  • navigate back to the folder you were in after editing a file, rather than back to the root

For example, see Eloqua's folder structure. The same unified interface for folders and templates across all assets, and works like you'd expect.

0 Me gusta
JonDick
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

@JosephBeam wrote:

Data Strategy -

I'd love to see some updates regarding file/folder organization in Hubspot. The current system is a bit disjointed and can be very unintuitive for new users.

This user framed the issue quite well:

Hi,

I noticed there are a few separate requests for folders in separate areas of Hubspot, but couldn't find a more general idea like this, so I figured, let's create something new. Sorry it's not as specific, but I feel like in practice, this could all be 1 big improvement epic.

As a marketing and admin user, I'd like folder functionality to:

A) work the same across Emails, Landing pages, Workflows, Contact Lists and anything else where there's more than one of it. 

Currently, I can create subfolders for emails, but not for landing pages. This is tedious, as our projects are usually divided and organized across more than one axle.

For example:

Events/Event 1

Events/Event 2

Or even deeper:

Evergreen Campaigns/Evergreen 1/Landing Pages

Evergreen Campaigns/Evergreen 1/Confirmation Pages

etc.

B) make the folders actually behave like folders in a file system (like Finder or Windows Explorer).

For example with emails: right now, I can create folders til I'm blue in the face, but the default view is always the root list of everything, no matter where these emails are actually stored. I have to click Folders, then navigate to the folder the email(s) I'm working on is/are in, every time the emails list loads.

This last bit is crucial and really annoying for general workflow speed. I experienced these two annoying things today:

• I'm working on some changes for a set of campaign emails that a campaign manager gave me. So I go to the folder I sorted them in, open an email to edit it, save it, but then there's only the back to all emails dashboard button, which takes me back to the List view with all emails unsorted. I have to go back to Folders and navigate back to the folder I was in if I want to work on other emails in the same folder. 
  • I needed to clone an email 10 times, within the context of a single campaign. But clicking Clone on an email A) opens the new cloned email straight away, forcing me to go back to the folder via that long route, and B) places the cloned email in the root (!) rather than in the same folder that the original was in. 

To summarize: for daily operation I'd love it if there was a unified folder system across all assets, that behaves more like you'd expect from a folder system:

• easily copy/paste files
  • merge list/folder views into one, with folders above unsorted files
  • drag/drop items into folders to move them
  • folders within folders
  • navigate back to the folder you were in after editing a file, rather than back to the root

For example, see Eloqua's folder structure. The same unified interface for folders and templates across all assets, and works like you'd expect.

@JosephBeam Hi, as a HubSpot power user I share your pain here. Although I cannot comment on our product roadmap, I can commit to you that I'll share this post with the team that manages folders and files.

troy22
Participante

Hey Jon, 

Thanks for doing this AMA! 

I'm at a 500 person SAAS company. Newly promoted to a marketing ops role, but realizing there's so much ops need throughout the company. We have teams ranging from highly organized (services) to hardly at all (...nearly everyone else not in product dev). 

If you were looking company-wide, what are some of the first ops items you would ensure are in place as a strong foundation? 

Any advice to someone looking to get into web personalization by vertical or account? Tools? Best practices? 

What would be your top metrics for keeping the pulse of a marketing team for senior leadership? 

What advice do you have for someone just starting their Marketing Ops career?

JonDick
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

@troy22 wrote:

Hey Jon, 

Thanks for doing this AMA! 

I'm at a 500 person SAAS company. Newly promoted to a marketing ops role, but realizing there's so much ops need throughout the company. We have teams ranging from highly organized (services) to hardly at all (...nearly everyone else not in product dev). 

If you were looking company-wide, what are some of the first ops items you would ensure are in place as a strong foundation? 

Any advice to someone looking to get into web personalization by vertical or account? Tools? Best practices? 

What would be your top metrics for keeping the pulse of a marketing team for senior leadership? 

What advice do you have for someone just starting their Marketing Ops career?

@troy22 Hi Troy - thanks for the questions. Thoughts below:

1. Ops Alignment:

"I'm realizing there's so much ops need throughout the company." This sounds like every company I've ever worked at. 🙂

I think the key to success as your getting started in ops is focus and process. You can't solve (and may never solve) all of the ops needs in your company. Instead ensure that you're nailing the things you own in MOPs, and ensure there's good process in place for connecting and aligning with your Ops peers. In terms of where to start, I would consider starting with a hybrid "RevOps" role that can cover for sales, marketing and customer success.

2. Personalization

We've been talking about personalization as markters FOREVER, and it still seems like we haven't been able to deliver personalization at scale. My advice here would be to start with the big stuff. Instead of trying to do web content for 7 verticals, choose the biggest vertical. Publish, learn, and iterate. If it's working, do more of it. Inherently doign content that is oriented against a single vertical or account sub-optimizes the whole, so you need to be sure it's worth it.

3. Top metrics:
a) Traffic
b) Signups
c) QLs
d) Revenue from QLs

4. Focus, focus, focus. Chose 1 big impactful project and nail it vs. spreading yourself too thin.

TrustpilotOps
Participante

Hi Jon,

I'm the lead on our Marketing Operations team in owning/managing our HubSpot instance. I've been given the responsibility to map out our B2B customer journey (free and paid domains). We grew incredibly fast as a business and as we scale, there are several ways for someone to find Trustpilot and join our community. 

What resources would you recommend I review and/or leverage? Have you completed this for HubSpot?

This is a great format to connect with you on - I hope to see more of these in the future!

- Mikaela Malumphy, Sr. Marketing Automation Manager

0 Me gusta
JonDick
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

@TrustpilotOps wrote:

Hi Jon,

I'm the lead on our Marketing Operations team in owning/managing our HubSpot instance. I've been given the responsibility to map out our B2B customer journey (free and paid domains). We grew incredibly fast as a business and as we scale, there are several ways for someone to find Trustpilot and join our community. 

What resources would you recommend I review and/or leverage? Have you completed this for HubSpot?

This is a great format to connect with you on - I hope to see more of these in the future!

- Mikaela Malumphy, Sr. Marketing Automation Manager

@TrustpilotOps Hi Mikaela, thanks for joining.

Figuring out your buyer's journey will be so valuable for TrustPilot, so I'm glad you're taking it on. There's a great HubSpot Academy lesson on the topic that I'd recommend: https://academy.hubspot.com/lessons/buyers-journey.

My personal advice having done this a few times would be the following:
1. Look for the BIG takeaways vs. all the little details. It can be easy to become obsess with accuracy, but the big takeaways are what drive alignment and focus for your team.
2. Customer interviews are so, so valuable, esp in understaning someone's sentiment at different phases on the journey. What are the magic moments and the biggest pain points. Focus on those.
3. Back it all up with data. Prove those magic moments and pain points help / hurt monetization and retention.

Hope that helps!

torg
Participante

Thank you  for doing this Jon.

Question:

How does one adopt inbound with two very distinct products & customers: business & consumer.

For example, a publisher may have a b2b strategy for advertisers, but also a b2c strategy for acquiring viewers/readers.

There are many ways to structure this

• Offer different entry points with two separate brands. Each with their own inbound content & strategy (E.g. Conde Nast Commercial vs Vogue/GQ etc.)

• Find broad content and offer it all in one place then segment the audience (E.g. Gary Vaynerchuck, Vayner Media)

• Broad inbound content, allow people to self-serve by going to a "Business Services" section (E.g. Bloomberg)
0 Me gusta
JonDick
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

@torg wrote:

Thank you  for doing this Jon.

Question:

How does one adopt inbound with two very distinct products & customers: business & consumer.

For example, a publisher may have a b2b strategy for advertisers, but also a b2c strategy for acquiring viewers/readers.

There are many ways to structure this

• Offer different entry points with two separate brands. Each with their own inbound content & strategy (E.g. Conde Nast Commercial vs Vogue/GQ etc.)

• Find broad content and offer it all in one place then segment the audience (E.g. Gary Vaynerchuck, Vayner Media)

• Broad inbound content, allow people to self-serve by going to a "Business Services" section (E.g. Bloomberg)

@torg Hi, thanks for the question.

I think some of it depends on how your team is structured, and the strengths you think you have as a marketing org.

Personally, I like a blend of Vayner and Bloombrg models. Broad content is the move. It drives way more traffic and appeals to both audiences. B2B buyers are really just people too, and search for the same things as consumers do. We have a saying at HubSpot...if you want more of a certain buyer, you need to get a lot more of all the buyers.

If you can then be great at segmentation through data science, that's a great approach.

I like the self-serve option as well as I believe in making it as "easy" as possible for buyers to find and buy what they're looking for.

0 Me gusta
RiccardoPisani
Colaborador líder

Hi there @JonDick ,

My question is mainly about scaling the team.

A bit of a background before.

I work as an automation manager reporting to the VP of Marketing and with the automation team we own the HubSpot project. 

When I joined the company, the idea was focusing only on the marketing processes, but then, I discovered that HubSpot was not in a good shape. Due to the huge amount of teams and different countries using it, I had first to focus on putting HubSpot in a better shape: defining clear processes for all the teams, rules, permissions, improving data quality, etc,..

Now that I completed that part, I would like to make changes in my team and enlarge our core competences. 

In the company we already have Sales Operations and Customer Operations teams. What we are missing is a Marketing Operations team: the automation team is covering mainly the tech side of that let's say. 

LG team consists of ~40 ToT team members in 8 countries. As you can imagine processes are multiple and not centralized.

As the next step for my team I would like create 2 main components: one team more tech oriented as it has always been + a brand new Marketing Operations Team.

My Question is: what would be your top 3 suggestions for a new Marketing Operations team in this scenario? What are the best practices that you would follow when it comes to working mainly with the Lead Generation team and the areas of focus I should mostly pay attention to? What would you do as first steps if you were in my place?

I would like to start with the right foot! Thank you for taking the time to go through this long post and I look forward to your precious suggestions.

Kind regards,

Riccardo

JonDick
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

@RiccardoPisani wrote:

Hi there @JonDick ,

My question is mainly about scaling the team.

A bit of a background before.

I work as an automation manager reporting to the VP of Marketing and with the automation team we own the HubSpot project. 

When I joined the company, the idea was focusing only on the marketing processes, but then, I discovered that HubSpot was not in a good shape. Due to the huge amount of teams and different countries using it, I had first to focus on putting HubSpot in a better shape: defining clear processes for all the teams, rules, permissions, improving data quality, etc,..

Now that I completed that part, I would like to make changes in my team and enlarge our core competences. 

In the company we already have Sales Operations and Customer Operations teams. What we are missing is a Marketing Operations team: the automation team is covering mainly the tech side of that let's say. 

LG team consists of ~40 ToT team members in 8 countries. As you can imagine processes are multiple and not centralized.

As the next step for my team I would like create 2 main components: one team more tech oriented as it has always been + a brand new Marketing Operations Team.

My Question is: what would be your top 3 suggestions for a new Marketing Operations team in this scenario? What are the best practices that you would follow when it comes to working mainly with the Lead Generation team and the areas of focus I should mostly pay attention to? What would you do as first steps if you were in my place?

I would like to start with the right foot! Thank you for taking the time to go through this long post and I look forward to your precious suggestions.

Kind regards,

Riccardo

@RiccardoPisani  Hi Riccarco, thanks for the details on current state, and congrats on getting HubSpot cleaned up. It can be very difficult to take a system someone else built and get it to do the things you want it to do. I've been there and done that. 🙂

I like how you're thinking about this problem, and think and investment in marketing ops is a very smart idea given the scale of your company. I personally think the three layers to successful marketing automation are:
Data
Systems/Ops
Distribution (email, chat, etc)

Without the data and systems pieces, all your efforts can fall short.

We really value autonomy at HubSpot, and have used this as a guiding principle for marketing ops. We only really centralize the things that really matter to making everyone's job successful. Data ingestion, list segmentation, language settings, compliance, etc. I would sit down with the regional marketing leaders and put all the marketing functions on a spectrum of centralized vs. autonomous, and work to drive alignment through that process.

0 Me gusta
RiccardoPisani
Colaborador líder

Hi there Jon,

Thanks a ton for taking the time to read/share your feedback 🙂 

I will for sure include your suggesitons on successful marketing automation key points and how to drive alignment in my next moves. 

Kind regards, 

Riccardo 

0 Me gusta
Drishtii
Colaborador

Thanks so much for taking the time out to do this @JonDick!

I am currently a one-man marketing (and sometimes sales too) Ops team. I want to know your opinions on how you would prioritize the below: 

1. Lead nurture campaigns - Email, chat, ads

2. Lead scoring and grading mechanisms

3. Content promotion

4. Growth experiments - Not just A/B tests, but changes on the landing pages, ads strategy and more. 

Thanks again!

JonDick
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

@Drishtii wrote:

Thanks so much for taking the time out to do this @JonDick!

I am currently a one-man marketing (and sometimes sales too) Ops team. I want to know your opinions on how you would prioritize the below: 

1. Lead nurture campaigns - Email, chat, ads

2. Lead scoring and grading mechanisms

3. Content promotion

4. Growth experiments - Not just A/B tests, but changes on the landing pages, ads strategy and more. 

Thanks again!

@Drishtii Hi, thanks for the questions!

It's hard to say what to prioritize without knowing your business model in more detail and what exists / doesn't exist already. But generally speaking, if you're a one-man team you need to focus, focus, focus. Activity doesn't equal impact, and the company will be happy if you really solve one problem meaningfully vs. make limited progress on a lot of things.

If you're not getting traffic and leads, start there. Content promotion, growth expiriments, etc. Once you have traffic, everything else gets much, much easier. 🙂

If you're getting traffic and leads, but they're not converting, lead nurture makes a ton of sense to invest in. (side not: I would put chat live REGARDLESS, as it's an easy way to improve monetization of the visitors you are getting).

If you're overwhelmed with leads, invest in scoring to help the org figure out who to invest time in developing into business.

adamfeldt
Participante

Hi Jon, Thanks for this AMA opportunity,

We have a standard HS/Salesforce integration and submit MQLs based on scoring and direct qualification. Lead queue managers then distribute these to relevant AMs for either rejection (commercial fit, technical fit, more info, spam) of accept (convert to SQL).  

Q1: What do you consider best practice for handling returning business in such a setup (assuming that marketing is accountable for re-qualification). ex: An existing contact converts on an offering not associated with any existing deal. What should ideally happen to lead status and scoring, and how best to leverage HS in communications with sales?

Q2: How best set the team for leveraging the 'Conversations' tool in the qualification process. Do you see anyone getting the full potential and what are they doing?

JonDick
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

@adamfeldt wrote:

Hi Jon, Thanks for this AMA opportunity,

We have a standard HS/Salesforce integration and submit MQLs based on scoring and direct qualification. Lead queue managers then distribute these to relevant AMs for either rejection (commercial fit, technical fit, more info, spam) of accept (convert to SQL).  

Q1: What do you consider best practice for handling returning business in such a setup (assuming that marketing is accountable for re-qualification). ex: An existing contact converts on an offering not associated with any existing deal. What should ideally happen to lead status and scoring, and how best to leverage HS in communications with sales?

Q2: How best set the team for leveraging the 'Conversations' tool in the qualification process. Do you see anyone getting the full potential and what are they doing?

@adamfeldt Hey Adam - great questions, and thanks for the context on your stack.

A1: At HubSpot, we've taken a much more strict definition around what defines a QL that simplifies this problem a lot. We used to use lead scoring thresholds (and if that works for your business, great!), but have transitioned to QLs being exclusively comprised of buyers who "raise a hand" to talk to sales. It reduced our overall QL volume initially, but has since allowed for massive growth in the volume of people raising a hand. The focus on this by the marketing team has challenged us to innovate much more. We still have reps reject QLs, and put those rejected QLs into nurture flows. If they re-engage and again ask to talk to sales, we requalify them. As a side note, we still leverage lead scoring regularly in how reps prioritize their prospecting efforts and how marketing targets outreach.

We leverage HubSpot to send rep notifications in the CRM and via email for all QLs, and when someone takes a high value non-QL action.

A2: Conversations has transformed our demand gen function. Time kills deals, and there's nothing more immediate than chat. We have bots on our website and in app (note: people engage with bots about 80% more often than then engage with live chat...), and have a team of rapid response reps available to take chats. Outcomes from those chats are booked meetings with reps.

0 Me gusta
ThomasF
Participante

Hi @JonDick and @maggiebutler 

Thank you for putting this together. 

My questions is related to operation and cross-team alignment/synchronization. 

• Do you have any best practice on how to communicate with your sales team to make sure they see and understand when accounts are engaging with us?
  • More generally making sure they make the most out of all the assets/campaigns we, the marketing team, put together?
  • And finally, how do you deal with Marketing attribution between Sales & Marketing? Are you still using Marketing Sourced vs Outbound opportunities? If not do you have any advice to convince stakeholder to drop it for another, more flexible, attribution model (based on the number of touchpoints for instance).

Thanks for your time and answers!

Thomas

JonDick
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

@ThomasF wrote:

Hi @JonDick and @maggiebutler 

Thank you for putting this together. 

My questions is related to operation and cross-team alignment/synchronization. 

• Do you have any best practice on how to communicate with your sales team to make sure they see and understand when accounts are engaging with us?
  • More generally making sure they make the most out of all the assets/campaigns we, the marketing team, put together?
  • And finally, how do you deal with Marketing attribution between Sales & Marketing? Are you still using Marketing Sourced vs Outbound opportunities? If not do you have any advice to convince stakeholder to drop it for another, more flexible, attribution model (based on the number of touchpoints for instance).

Thanks for your time and answers!

Thomas

@ThomasF Hi Thomas, thanks for the questions.

For aligning sales & marketing around account engagement, we use a mix of proactive and reactive tools to help:
1. We send rep notifications to reps when someone at one of their accounts interacts with certain high value marketing assets (pricing page, for instance)
2. We use the HubSpot Contact Record as the source of truth for engagement that's occured. Reps track all emails in the CRM and all marketing emails are tracked as well. Before reps engage they review the contact record.
3. We've started using HubSpot's new ABM tools to monitor engagement for target accounts and align marketing & sales (https://www.hubspot.com/products/abm-software)

For ensuring sales is leveraging our campaigns, one of the main things we track is volume of contacts engaged in rep sequences pushing to our campaigns. It helps monitor and undertand value of campaigns to the reps and how much they are leveraging it.

For attribution, we of course look at source reporting and have more advanced attribution for our paid efforts, but generally we look at something we call the "Holy Grail" chart. We call it that because our north star as a company is to consistently increase the % of revenue that comes from inbound, and this chart measures it. It breaks all revenue into four buckets:
1. eCommerce
2. QL
3. Inbound lead that didn't QL
4. Rep sourced lead

We set targets for each bucket and monitor regularly.

0 Me gusta
alphaNav
Miembro

I have launched my first champaign and have sent marketing emails to contacts who did recieve them, and some who did open them, but the data captured on these emails, as reflected in the fields mentioned below, makes it look as though these contacts did not actually receive the emails: Last Marketing Email Send Date is blank as is Marketing Emails Delivered and Marketing Emails Opened, this in contradictin to the automated input on my Contact Records. What causes this and how can I work around this? Please advise. Thank you!