📅 Events

maggiebutler
Modérateur HubSpot
Modérateur HubSpot

[Closed] Exclusive Conversation with Jon Dick, VP Marketing @ HubSpot

Thanks for participating! The thread is now closed; Jon will be back soon for another AMA. If you would like to connect with subject matter experts in #opslife, please post a new question here.

We’re excited to host an exclusive ask-me-anything session right here in #OpsLife with @JonDick , VP Marketing. Jon leads the go-to-market & operations marketing strategy at HubSpot and has 10+ years of experience leading Marketing teams at companies like Klout and Trunk Club. 

On Tuesday 7/28 at 12pm ET, Jon will be answering your questions here on all things marketing strategy and operations, so be sure to leave your questions on this thread before then or UPVOTE questions you want more detail on.

Here are some examples of things to ask Jon about:

• Data strategy
  • Cross-team alignment
  • System roadmaps
  • Annual Planning
  • Go-to-market for consumer & enterprise products
  • Positioning & thought leadership
  • Digital demand generation
  • Social & content strategies
  • Online & Offline Direct Response Advertising
  • Marketing attribution 
57 Réponses
JonDick
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

@alphaNav wrote:

I have launched my first champaign and have sent marketing emails to contacts who did recieve them, and some who did open them, but the data captured on these emails, as reflected in the fields mentioned below, makes it look as though these contacts did not actually receive the emails: Last Marketing Email Send Date is blank as is Marketing Emails Delivered and Marketing Emails Opened, this in contradictin to the automated input on my Contact Records. What causes this and how can I work around this? Please advise. Thank you!

@alphaNav Hi, that's very strange and I haven't had that happen before. I did a quick search and don't see any Knowledge Base articles referencing this issue. Let's see if the community can help you answer it.

0 Votes
sharonlicari
Gestionnaire de communauté
Gestionnaire de communauté

I want to bring to your attention this exclusive AMA 🙂

@StefaniUAT @Lucila-Andimol @rikkilear @Josh @AnnieRECIPE @Joe-Kelp  I think you might be interested to participate in this event.

Happy Friday

Sharon

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

AnnieRECIPE
Contributeur | Partenaire solutions Platinum
Contributeur | Partenaire solutions Platinum

Ohhhhhhh thanks @sharonlicariCœur

@sharonlicari wrote:

I want to bring to your attention this exclusive AMA 🙂

@StefaniUAT @Lucila-Andimol @rikkilear @Josh @AnnieRECIPE @Joe-Kelp  I think you might be interested to participate in this event.

Happy Friday

Sharon

Found my solution helpful? Please mark it as accepted below 🙂

Annie Swann

Head Coach

RECIPE marketing

emailAddress
annie@recipemarketing.co.nz
website
www.recipemarketing.co.nz
address
9 Huron Street, Takapuna, Auckland
sakearns
Participant

Hi Jon! 

What a fantastic forum for an AMA. I work for a small enterprise SaaS company as essentially a 1-woman marketing shop. I'm constantly struggling with keeping my teams and channel partners consistent on messaging and positioning. My questions:

1. Do you have some simple, go-to templates you use for messaging or positioning, to ensure structure?
  2. What documents do you prioritize with respect to product marketing? I don't have the bandwidth to produce everything that people "think" they need, and we don't really track document analytics (I've tried and failed, my sales team just doesn't want to change habits). Where should I focus? Are brochures and product comparisons developed internally dead? 

I have probably another dozen questions, but I'll stick to these two. By the way, I LOVED your Flywheel presentation at HubSpot's 2019 INBOUND conference. I look forward to more fantastic content (virtual) this year!

Thank you

JonDick
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

@sakearns wrote:

Hi Jon! 

What a fantastic forum for an AMA. I work for a small enterprise SaaS company as essentially a 1-woman marketing shop. I'm constantly struggling with keeping my teams and channel partners consistent on messaging and positioning. My questions:

1. Do you have some simple, go-to templates you use for messaging or positioning, to ensure structure?
  2. What documents do you prioritize with respect to product marketing? I don't have the bandwidth to produce everything that people "think" they need, and we don't really track document analytics (I've tried and failed, my sales team just doesn't want to change habits). Where should I focus? Are brochures and product comparisons developed internally dead? 

I have probably another dozen questions, but I'll stick to these two. By the way, I LOVED your Flywheel presentation at HubSpot's 2019 INBOUND conference. I look forward to more fantastic content (virtual) this year!

Thank you

@sakearns Hey, thanks for taking the time to participate and for attending INBOUND last year. 🙂 I hope you find the AMA valuable!

Brand Positioning: here's a blog post: https://blog.hubspot.com/sales/brand-positioning-strategy. I think the big things you really need to nail are the promise for your customers, the before / after, and the differentiation vs. other solutions. I find less is more here.

Product Marketing: I'd look to your customers for the answer to this question. My mantra is spend less time enabling sales to sell, and spend more time enabling buyers to buy. Some resources that I think are really valuable though are: demo deck, competitive resources, ROI tools.

0 Votes
ferojas87
Membre

Hi Jon, 

I would like to know how to develop a good referral channel in my strategy, do you have a methodology?, Hubspot has one?. When do you consider that a SaaS company needs to implement a Growth Hack approach?

Cheers

JonDick
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

@ferojas87 wrote:

Hi Jon, 

I would like to know how to develop a good referral channel in my strategy, do you have a methodology?, Hubspot has one?. When do you consider that a SaaS company needs to implement a Growth Hack approach?

Cheers

@ferojas87 Hello, I'm a big fan of referral marketing, and at my last company (eComm) it was our highest converting and most profitable channel. It's harder in SaaS IMO, and HubSpot has not built software or education on how to do it successfully. If it works for you in SaaS, let me know!

0 Votes
ferojas87
Membre

Thanks Jon, 

cheers

0 Votes
Anonymous
Non applicable

Hi Jon -

I'm the Marketing & Design Director for a regional homebuilder (B2C) building about 400 homes/year - and fully manage our sales technology & implementation.

I have a very small team with 1 admin, 1 sales & marketing coordinator and 1 design coordinator to keep the day to day going so I can focus on projects, product launch and alignment. On the sales side, we have a much larger team with about 15 people at all levels.

Our team uses HubSpot CRM, Sales, Marketing (about 4 years now), but everyone on our team uses it to different degrees and at different skill levels.

Here are my questions - thanks in advance!

1. What are the 3 top metrics or KPIs you think are the most critical for sales & marketing alignment that executives without a marketing background can gain value from?

2. How do you get buy-in from every member of the team to learn the various tools & resources HubSpot offers?

3. Any advice for Sales Enablement and Smarketing for high tech marketers & traditional sales teams?

Thanks again,

Jennifer

JonDick
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Jon -

I'm the Marketing & Design Director for a regional homebuilder (B2C) building about 400 homes/year - and fully manage our sales technology & implementation.

I have a very small team with 1 admin, 1 sales & marketing coordinator and 1 design coordinator to keep the day to day going so I can focus on projects, product launch and alignment. On the sales side, we have a much larger team with about 15 people at all levels.

Our team uses HubSpot CRM, Sales, Marketing (about 4 years now), but everyone on our team uses it to different degrees and at different skill levels.

Here are my questions - thanks in advance!

1. What are the 3 top metrics or KPIs you think are the most critical for sales & marketing alignment that executives without a marketing background can gain value from?

2. How do you get buy-in from every member of the team to learn the various tools & resources HubSpot offers?

3. Any advice for Sales Enablement and Smarketing for high tech marketers & traditional sales teams?

Thanks again,

Jennifer

@Anonymous Thanks for the context and for being a customer!

Top three metrics for alignment:
1. Marketing QL "SLA" - Marketing's commitment to provide each sales segment with pipeline
2. QL Work Rate - Sales' commitment to work QLs within x period of time.
3. Growth rate in actual revenue from QLs vs. growth rate in overall revenue - want QLs to contribute more and more to rep quota each month

Tactics for buy-in / tool usage:
1. For tool adoption, leadership needs to pay attention to cleanliness of data and accuracy of pipeline. Leadership attention drives behavior.
2. For learning / resources, consider building it into onboarding, and also hosting professional development / certification days using HubSpot Academy.

Enablement advice:
1. Invest more in enabling buyers to buy than enabling sellers to sell. 🙂

0 Votes
Daniel_Bleich
Conseiller clé

Hi, sounds great, I would love to hear your take on:

1. Nurture processes
  2. To gate or not to gate content
  3. Dealing with leads that go to sales and are not qualified at the moment for opportunities
Daniel Bleichman
Marketing | AudioCodes

Danielbleichman@gmail.com
Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution
JonDick
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

@Daniel_Bleich wrote:

Hi, sounds great, I would love to hear your take on:

1. Nurture processes
  2. To gate or not to gate content
  3. Dealing with leads that go to sales and are not qualified at the moment for opportunities

@Daniel_Bleich Hi Daniel,

1) Nurturing:

This continues to be a BIG area of investment for us. The most recent areas of investment in nurturing are:
a) Building more "trigger" nurturing, that sends smaller nurture flows based on actions someone takes on website or in product
b) Expanding from marketing nurturing --> sales nurturing --> customer nurturing
c) Expanding to new channels (WhatsApp, SMS, bots)

2) The Great Gate Debate:

It depends on your business model and marketing strengths. We use a mix of gated and ungated, and advise most of our customers to do the same. We leverage conversational marketing on all website pages for real-time engagement, but still drive a lot of business from converting people on lead gen forms. Just remember...you have to add value before you extract value. So only gate high quality content.

3) Non-Sales Ready Leads

We tend to put these into email pools to drive ongoing engagement, but I think we could invest more in tailoring sequences for them.

jannika_otte
Participant | Partenaire solutions Diamond

Hi Jon.. I was looking for some creative input here and you are highly recommended by your very own HubSpot @maggiebutler ! Smiley Very Happy

From your experience, what where good attributes or milestones that identify a SQL?Thinking about how to optimise a Lead Score and got all the regulars covered already (such as asked for a demo/ wanted to know about prices/ contacted sales..)

JonDick
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

@jannika_otte wrote:

Hi Jon.. I was looking for some creative input here and you are highly recommended by your very own HubSpot @maggiebutler ! Smiley Very Happy

From your experience, what where good attributes or milestones that identify a SQL?Thinking about how to optimise a Lead Score and got all the regulars covered already (such as asked for a demo/ wanted to know about prices/ contacted sales..)

@jannika_otte This may be the first time I've ever used the words "SQL" and "Creative" in the same sentence, but I like it!

Can I ask a follow-up question? When you say "SQL" do you mean Sales Qualified Lead or Services Qualified Lead. At HubSpot we call Service Qualified Leads SQLs, and use them as a way for our CSMs to identify customers who might need additional features / products to achieve their goals. We over-optimize for quality on SQLs instead of volume, as we want to ensure all convos with our customers are adding value.

jannika_otte

Interesting! Didn't know about that!
We use SQL for Sales Qualified Leads.. the way we work (now, nothing remains the same 🙂 we are not so much involved in the nurturing of exisiting customers.
I like your approach a lot.. but am still looking more into how to identify a person who wishes to buy..

0 Votes
LPetherick
Participant

I would love to join this event but I cant make that time - will the session be availible recorded? 

maggiebutler
Modérateur HubSpot
Modérateur HubSpot

@LPetherick You won't miss a thing! Jon is doing a text AMA, and will be here Tuesday answering questions live on the thread. You can leave him a question (or several questions) now and he'll answer it on Tuesday.

AdamLPW
Conseiller clé

I'm a one-man sales and marketing team (and de-facto social media manager) for a small SAAS company with a niche market.  I'm constantly reading about how I should be working on cross-team alignment, social strategies, establishing myself as a thought leader...

In an ideal world, I'd have time to do important things like properly consider buyer personas and develop well-conceived strategies to help me move forward.  At the moment, it's basically all in my head!  Using HubSpot has resulted in significant efficiency savings; however, I still find I don't have the luxury of time to do everything that (in an ideal world) I would/should be doing.  

So I guess my question for @JonDick is this: if you were starting again from scratch, how would you prioritise?  If you had to balance all the work yourself, where would you invest your time and energies first?  At the moment I probably do a little of everything, but not enough of anything.   Just interested to hear your thoughts.  

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution
"The rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience. I will dispense this experience... now!"
JonDick
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

@AdamLPW wrote:

I'm a one-man sales and marketing team (and de-facto social media manager) for a small SAAS company with a niche market.  I'm constantly reading about how I should be working on cross-team alignment, social strategies, establishing myself as a thought leader...

In an ideal world, I'd have time to do important things like properly consider buyer personas and develop well-conceived strategies to help me move forward.  At the moment, it's basically all in my head!  Using HubSpot has resulted in significant efficiency savings; however, I still find I don't have the luxury of time to do everything that (in an ideal world) I would/should be doing.  

So I guess my question for @JonDick is this: if you were starting again from scratch, how would you prioritise?  If you had to balance all the work yourself, where would you invest your time and energies first?  At the moment I probably do a little of everything, but not enough of anything.   Just interested to hear your thoughts.  

@AdamLPW Hey Adam - I see this all the time (and have felt it a number of times in my career).

My biggest advice is to focus on impact instead of activities. It's easy to get caught up in just "doing stuff" every day, and not making any progress on the big things I need to acheive.

Chosing what the most impactful things are depends a lot on your biz model and market. But given you're a one-man sales and marketing team, I'd imagine you need to make a lot of progress on lead gen. I'd focus a bunch right now on figuring out the strategy that works for lead gen - product led growth, content marketing, paid advertising, etc. Once you have that, just focus, focus, focus and say no to other things until you make real progress against it.

toricook
Contributeur de premier rang

@AdamLPW  #SOML!

KeyWestScott
Conseiller clé

Q1 - will this be hosted on this thread or Zoom or?????

Q2 - Real question....  We are a passenger ferry operation in the SW Florida area (yea, covid central!!)  How to best communicate and convince those to travel, Florida residents only since we don't have any tourists  Smiley triste.   Purely B2C, no groups.

Scott