💬 RevOps Discussions

louischausse
Asesor destacado | Partner nivel Platinum

When editing Deal properties with a contact workflow, how could I limit the change to OPEN deals

Hi,

Wondering if any of you have found a way to do the following:

When editing Deal properties with a contact workflow, how could I limit the change to associated OPEN deals only.

For instance a contact have two deals. One closed and another one open.

I have this workflow

louischausse_0-1601643000116.png

I want the open deal owner to change, but I don't want the closed deal owner to change.

The following won't work because of the "At least one deal" statement

louischausse_1-1601643112175.png

How would you work around this limitation?

In fact, something that would be really cool is to be able to "lock" a deal when it is closed so nothing can be changed

Louis Chaussé from Auxilio HubSpot Solutions Partner Signature
Louis Chaussé from Auxilio HubSpot Solutions Partner Meeting link
0 Me gusta
8 Respuestas 8
jhansen
Participante

When editing Deal properties with a contact workflow, how could I limit the change to OPEN deals

I second the placeholder idea. I have an additional owner property called Deal Closed Owner and a workflow that copies the Deal Owner to the Deal Closed Owner once the deal gets moved to a Closed stage. I also have Deal Closed Owner locked down so it can't be changed except by Super Admins. This helps us keep track of who actually closed the deal for performance and commission purposes. 

HadarS
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

@louischausse what is the use case for keeping all these properties stored on both objects? Can you tell me a bit more about what you would do with that data?

0 Me gusta
HadarS
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

@louischausse I've addressed a similar situation of copying from contact>deal only if the deal is not closed by doing this:

1- Create a placeholder on the deal record (not to be used for reporting or automation-mark this on the property accordingly)- whenever owner is known on the contact level, copy the new value into the placeholder on ALL Deals.

2- Use a deal workflow based on your deal placeholder value in #1 being known (enrollment criteria). Add an if/then branch to check if the deal is in any open stage, and if so, proceed on the "yes" branch to copying the placeholder value into the owner property on the deal.

louischausse

This is a great idea but the contact owner is only one of the 50 properties that I need to keep at sync between Contact > Open deals. I don't want to create 50 placeholder properties...

0 Me gusta
mdaguinaldo
Participante

Hi Louis,

What's the goal for the workflow? What's the reason for changing the deal owner of the open deal vs closed deal?

0 Me gusta
louischausse

We use Deals to track subscription for a school. Every deal is a subscription. When a deal is closed lost we don't want the properties in it to be changed so we can look into it if the student submits another subscription request.

0 Me gusta
mdaguinaldo
Participante

Oh, okay. I think I’ve understood it.

In our organization, we deem it as good practice to create a new deal whenever a previous deal has been lost.

In this way, we don’t lose any previous information and it would also give way for the new salesperson to start on a clean slate.

In terms of workflows, you could create a deal-based workflow wherein a task would be automatically created to remind a salesperson to get in touch with the school after x months. Set the due date to whenever that x month would be.

You could also enroll them in a sequence or send them email campaigns to keep you in mind until they re-engage with you (or vice versa!).

I hope this helps! 🙂
0 Me gusta
louischausse

@lalexander if you can help me get an anser for this one that would be much appreciated 🙂

0 Me gusta