💬 RevOps Discussions

lalexander
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

What one thing have you done to help your sales and marketing teams work together effectively?

Many of you have mentioned that you're skilled in workflows and the CRM, and many of your job titles include phrases like "demand gen" and "automation manager." What is one process, workflow, property, or other thing that you've set up to create a smoother experience for your internal teams and prospective customers as prospects are handed from marketing to sales? Describe the workflow/property/etc.

(Even better if you have a complex sales process or abnormal sales cycle!)

0 Upvotes
9 Replies 9
LizO
Top Contributor | Elite Partner

What one thing have you done to help your sales and marketing teams work together effectively?

Workflows are huge for segmenting inbounds leads into the applicable product line and Sales team responsible for that contact.  I have some forms trigger tasks to a sales person or even creating deals from a form submission and assigning them to the sales team to work.    

I've been on Hubspot for 6 years and workflows have come a long way.  I have some very complex dozen branch workflows that even send leads to external partners/ reseller sales teams.   

One feature that would greatly help with workflows is a way to copy/paste a branch action.  Building workflows can be tedious but so worth the time savings for months to come.  

0 Upvotes
HadarS
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Hi @LizO cloning if/then branches is live as of earlier this month.

clone.png

0 Upvotes
LizO

Thanks @HadarS, this new feature is super helpfull for segmenting multiple actions on 1 if/then branch.  This is a much improved feature because I'm used to the true/flase format of only a 2 way split.  Now you can have a larger number of forks at each if/then logic!

--[

What I was saying is an action or set of actions that come after 1 if then branch getting copied and applied after a branch later in the workflow. 

Example, breaking up contacts by geography then tasking 5 different sales reps with the same sequence of tasks and calls.  Cloning that actions form branch 1 to the 4 other branches then just modifying the user assigned the tasks would save time building the workflow.  

0 Upvotes
HadarS
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

@LizO love that! Please be sure to submit your Ideas to the Ideas Forum: https://community.hubspot.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/ideaslandingpage. That's where our Product team goes to understand which features our customers want to see and how popular they are.

0 Upvotes
JonathanD
Contributor

Workflow that creates a deal in a specific pipeline, on form submission.

Seems a bit trivial, but its really helped our lead gen team keep track of incoming leads which are distributed to various offices all over the country.  We split the leads for different products and our recruitment leads into separate pipelines and our divisional managers have an overview of the leads that are being generated for their divisions, so the team are kept accountable for updating the deal stages and getting feedback from the offices that the leads were passed on to.

(We're also copying contact properties from the contact record to the deal record, as some of the properties are overwritten by subsequent form submissions so referring to the contact record later could get confusing)

nmclain
Participant

I work for a charter school and during summer months;It impacts us with students. One of the most helpful features is the ability to set a contact owner; This helps streamline our process for our enrollment team. It gives everyone equal responsibility and control. I'd love to learn all the power of workflows, especially within chat because I struggle with a great outline.

Ben_M
Key Advisor

For us two things stand out.

First, I'll second the scoring that has been mentioned already.  Before coming on board our company had struggled with the upsell/cross-sell MQLs and we implemented our lead scoring matrix to help get rid of a huge scale of numbers from a simple scoring property and make the score more human-readable so that a sales rep can quickly look at it and understand who a contact is, what their role/impact is on the business, and how active they are. This made selling to new prospects, as well as existing upsell opportunities a much simpler process.

Additionally, once we took over the entire inbound process (online and offline) so all leads flowed through marketing to start we were able to use workflows to manage all imports and form submissions through standard control processes to provide clean data to sales.  Or as we call it, our Contact Washing Machine.  By making the data sales first sees less cumbersome and simpler to understand, they could spend more time getting prospects into their opportunity pipelines.

JonathanD
Contributor

I think thats a great approach to take with the Sales team, and I'm going to shamelessly steal it!  Our sales people seem a bit daunted by using a CRM, as they're the diary carrying kind and its a big step for them so I'm hoping that we could improve/accelerate adoption by limiting their work.

0 Upvotes
ITMarketer
Contributor

Getting sales and marketing on the same page has been one of my biggest challenges. Implementing lead scoring (HubSpot score) has definitely made the biggest impact for both teams! It helps me track engagement/quality of our leads and when a lead becomes MQL or SQL, that's the sign for sales to step in. 

0 Upvotes