💬 RevOps Discussions

lalexander
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

What are your questions for our chat/bots expert?

Next week, we're bringing in Ari Echt-Wilson, a Conversational Marketing Manager at HubSpot, to share her strategic or operational wisdom on anything related to:

• On-site chat for Sales
  • Using bots and the HubSpot Conversations tool (or any other tool you're using like Intercom or Drift) to drive conversions
  • Chat for Customer Support

What questions do you have for Ari? 

If you don't have any questions, how are you currently using chat on your website? Have you experimented with bots? Why/why not?

0 Upvotes
9 Replies 9
lalexander
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Wanted to make sure some of our newer Power Users got the chance to ask Qs today, too!

@Ryan_ @benesch_e @jhuang @rapril @cbmoldov @DigiUpDiva @dhilsonjr @TH1 

0 Upvotes
C_Lowry
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

@Max_at_Wave@cynthia_dunlop I'm tagging you in here as I see this is an area of interest for you so please feel free to post a question ahead of the AMA tommorrow, thanks! 

0 Upvotes
davecriswell
Top Contributor

Hey Ari, thanks for the time! 

The first step in our Chatflow is to ask for the visitor's first name and then we use that to personalize the chat experience. We're finding the majority of visitors reply with their question rather than their name (perhaps not reading the chatflow message). This ends up as the name on their contact record since we save that value to their contact record.

Is there a better way/best practice to do this to avoid this problem, or, we've considered not asking for their name to avoid this issue altogether.

Thanks!

0 Upvotes
aechtwilson
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Hi @davecriswell – great question here. This is something we've seen at HubSpot too! To be honest, it can be entertaining to read some of the conversations where someone asks their question at the name step and the bot uses it later in the conversation. 

You could remove the name question, but of course the information is also valuable the sales team or other personalized marketing efforts. 

We've started asking a question before "name" in some of our bots that lets the user tell us what their goal is. It could be multiple choice using quick replies, or an open text field. I think it helps the user "get out" what they are looking for and then they are more open to giving more information afterwards. It can be a question like "What are you looking for?" and we also save it to a contact property called "Chat Inquiry" so that we can analyze the information later and learn how to better tailor our bots or even make updates to the website page. 

0 Upvotes
davecriswell
Top Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion, @aechtwilson.  We'll give that a try!

0 Upvotes
baylistefl
Participant

I am considering using a chat bot for our website gumgum.com/sports as well as our blog that is hosted on a non-Hubspot subdomain. The goal is to drive leads from people who are browsing our website and give blog readers the opportunity to convert on their own time. What are some best practices for using chat bots for lead gen? Thank you!

0 Upvotes
aechtwilson
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Hi @baylistefl – It's great to hear you are thinking of implementing a chatbot for your website and blog. One of the advantages of creating a chatbot is that it engages your visitors in a conversational, friendly way that reduces friction in the buying process. 

Thanks @drong for the great tips here! I completely agree. I speak to both of your points below and why we try to use those best practices. 

So my first tip would be: keep things conversational! In terms of the information that your chatbot gathers, it can be the same as what you gather in a form. But you can transform the language to sound like a conversation. Instead of "email address", you can use "What's a good email address for the team to follow up with you?". I recommend actually talking through the bot copy with another teammate to get that conversational feel. 

Also remember that you don't need to ask for the personal information first. Any good conversation starts with some small talk. We find that bots that start with multiple choice options ("quick replies") help the visitor feel like they are closer to their goal and get more engagement and conversions. It's that give and take that's a part of any good conversation. 

drong
Contributor

Hi,

I think Chatbots are the best, and one of the best way i found on getting people to drop themselves in their own nurturing campaign is by upfront asking their information. So the basic name and email.

Do becareful when wording your questions especially when it come to free form. Make it seem like the chatbot is a person instead of being just a bot. An example for asking for their name I find more effective instead of "what is your full name?" we would say "How do you want me to address you?" following that I would insert the contact field for their first name asking for their email.

A great way of capturing the exact lead in a chatbot is to make your questions/answers all multiple choice. So while browsing your site...maybe the following question asking for an email would be "what are you intrested in knowing? -Advertising - Sports".

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Drew

0 Upvotes
C_Lowry
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

@baylistefl thanks for posting this question and good to hear you are considering to leverage a chatbot as an additional conversion point on your website.

@drong I thought you might also have some good questions around this topic for the AMA tomorrow.

0 Upvotes