MarcosBarcelos
Contributor

The importance of documenting insights and the experience on SalesOPS

SOLVE

Knowledge is the way.

MarcosBarcelos_0-1670098376733.gif

MarcosBarcelos_1-1670098431580.png

MOTIVATION

After analyzing some sales processes, we faced something that we as sales ops should do: the documentation. So that when proposing a new strategy, new activities, or pipelines we would have an endorsement from the past that would say “We never tried this” or “We tried, and in reality X didn't work”. Has your company documented its processes?

MarcosBarcelos_2-1670098548940.png

DEEP DIVING

My discussion post has to have deep diving, AHHAAH. This time my motivation came from the passage from the book that I'm still reading, the sales development playbook: build repeatable pipeline and accelerate growth with inside sales, by Trish Bertuzzi, which says: 

MarcosBarcelos_3-1670098549187.jpeg

So I thought: What about the changes? Is it interesting to document?

MarcosBarcelos_4-1670098642428.png

INSIGHT

Suppose you, the manager, have followed the entire trial process, A/B tests, and activity flows. In that case, I recommend documenting all these improvements, because the mind fails. Many times we can fall into the same mistake twice or wonder why it went wrong.

MarcosBarcelos_5-1670098642429.png

DISCUSSION

Documentation strategies exist a lot, what I wanted to discuss is what to document without hurting performance? What is the core of Sales Ops?

MarcosBarcelos_7-1670098808179.png

MarcosBarcelos_6-1670098642432.png

AUTHOR'S RESPONSE

I believe that good practice is to document with the following items: Write the change, the summary of the reason for the change, reports that identify the problem, the reason why it did not work or why it worked, and the reports after the change. And most importantly, save the document with Tags that are easily identifiable, for example, “Funnel change - addition of a pre-sales step”.

1 Accepted solution
JenBergren
Solution
Guide

SOLVE

Thanks for sharing @MarcosBarcelos , documentation is one of my favorite topics, everyone should do it including sales ops, yes! I like your focus on a change log type of documentation.

Here are a few resources I like to share about documentation:

Recent HubSpot admin HUG with my previous boss Nicole about our documentation learnings

Talk I did at world certification week

I may have taken over this podcast topic to talk about documentation haha

4 part blog series on HubSpot community blog, starts here

Class

Thanks!
Jen Bergren
Human-Centered Operations Leader, HubSpot SuperFan, Instructional Design and Lifelong Learning Advocate
Connect with me on Linkedin

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
JenBergren
Solution
Guide

SOLVE

Thanks for sharing @MarcosBarcelos , documentation is one of my favorite topics, everyone should do it including sales ops, yes! I like your focus on a change log type of documentation.

Here are a few resources I like to share about documentation:

Recent HubSpot admin HUG with my previous boss Nicole about our documentation learnings

Talk I did at world certification week

I may have taken over this podcast topic to talk about documentation haha

4 part blog series on HubSpot community blog, starts here

Class

Thanks!
Jen Bergren
Human-Centered Operations Leader, HubSpot SuperFan, Instructional Design and Lifelong Learning Advocate
Connect with me on Linkedin
kvlschaefer
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Thank you for sharing, @MarcosBarcelos!

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !