💬 RevOps Discussions

AM8
Top Contributor

Clicks in emails not matching the traffic on the website

SOLVE

Hi All, 

I have recently been noticing that our email click numbers and the corresponding page traffic numbers are off but almost 75%. 

I recently sent out an email with multiple CTAs, each leading to a different landing page on our website. One CTA was a 'direct meeting book ' button which would let people just click the CTA and have a meeting booked in one-click. A workflow would trigger in the backend that would put people who clicked on that CTA in a list and triggered tasks for sales team to follow up and get a time on the calendar booked. Smart idea and the sales team loved it in theory but in practice, we found that a lot of people in our workflow said that they never clicked on any CTA in the email. 

Also, the number of CTA clicks for landing pages was almost 1500, but the traffic to the page only showed about 350 people ( we use UTM tracking so I know exactly what traffic is from the email CTA). 

My research online shows that many companies use "spam checkers" software that clicks every link in an email before delivering the email to employees. That's one possible explanation for the high click numbers but not high enough traffic. But this poses a bigger problem for email triggers based on CTA clicks. 

Has anyone of you faced such an issue with clicks? 

Hope this helps
Thank you.
-AM8 
#Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution.
0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
HadarS
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi @AM8 I'd recommend submitting a support ticket with their support team then. There can be a variety of reasons for this to occur and some are based on settings that we can't see on our end given the tools used are not HubSpot. For example, we would look for things like who's clicking on the link--is it a security software? Are settings for email click tracking configured properly in the tools or have they been adjusted/turned off somehow? How is web traffic measured as compared to email clicks (ie is a session by the same visitor over a period of time counted as one or separate sessions) Is the site accessible via channels other than that email? Etc.. 

Thank you,

Hadar

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
SObrien06

SOLVE

When clicks in emails do not match the traffic on the website, it can indicate a discrepancy between user engagement with email content and their actual visitation to the website. This mismatch could be attributed to several factors. Firstly, the tracking parameters in the email might not be properly configured, leading to inaccurate measurement of click-through rates. Secondly, users might click on links in emails but quickly bounce from the landing page if the content doesn't meet their expectations or load times are too long, thus not being counted as genuine website traffic. Additionally, email security filters and software might be clicking on links to check their safety, inflating the number of recorded clicks without corresponding visits. Understanding and addressing these disparities is crucial for accurately assessing the effectiveness of email marketing campaigns and optimizing the user experience on the website .

0 Upvotes
Cianodonoghue
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi there AM, there are many reasons that could explain the difference in email CTR & landing page traffic. There would potentially need to be a deeper review of the email and landing page in question. 

This sounds like a great case for the Support team who can do some troubleshooting for you and figure out what’s going on. Please
log in to your HubSpot account and click the Help button to see your support options and submit a case. Would you mind posting your question via the support channel for a review?

AM8
Top Contributor

SOLVE

Hi @Cianodonoghue 
I have seen similar issues with my Hubspot email campaigns in the  past, but I did this particular campaign for a client who uses Marketo and not Hubspot. Thus I can not create a support ticket for this particular email. Here are some screenshots if it helps you see what I am seeing on my end as results. 

Screen Shot 2020-05-07 at 12.20.46 PM.png

Hope this helps
Thank you.
-AM8 
#Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution.
0 Upvotes
HadarS
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi @AM8 I'd recommend submitting a support ticket with their support team then. There can be a variety of reasons for this to occur and some are based on settings that we can't see on our end given the tools used are not HubSpot. For example, we would look for things like who's clicking on the link--is it a security software? Are settings for email click tracking configured properly in the tools or have they been adjusted/turned off somehow? How is web traffic measured as compared to email clicks (ie is a session by the same visitor over a period of time counted as one or separate sessions) Is the site accessible via channels other than that email? Etc.. 

Thank you,

Hadar