Nov 20, 2020 5:54 PM
We are trying our darn best to scrap together a solution that allows us to track UTM parameter success with a cobbled together solution. Due to the limitations of the HubSpot data model for nonprofits, we were forced to use both Salesforce and HubSpot.
1. We have a Shopify site setup with the HubSpot tracking code installed
2. We have the Salesforce-HubSpot integration set up
3. We have a Zapier process that fires whenever there's a new order in Shopify. The Zap FIRST submits a form submission in HubSpot in order to create a contact
4. Then the Zap syncs a Contact and Opportunity to Salesforce
5. Then Salesforce syncs a Deal over to HubSpot
When we run a test with UTM parameters, we're able to successfully see traffic to that UTM parameter, however the contact and customer conversions are not coming through. Also the original source on the Contact is Direct Traffic, even though we used the UTM parameters to navigate to the site (on a fresh browser, fresh cookies).
Has anyone been able to cobble together analytics on these three platforms together in HubSpot??
Nov 23, 2020 12:14 PM
In summary, I would recommend to first ensure the contact's cookie gets passed to HubSpot for HubSpot analytics to infer the original source and categorize the contact accordingly and if not possible, to explicitly set the UTM values to a custom contact property to use in custom reports. Either way, these fields are possible to sync back to Salesforce to allow reporting in various ways. I want to highlight solutions #3 and #5 as generally being the most common solutions to the general query of tracking UTM parameters that I see.
Look forward to your (and others) thoughts/questions on this!
-Renee, Hubspot Customer Success Manager