💬 RevOps Discussions

DaniPerales
Participant

Measurement of Workflows/Emails Efficiency - Goals

Hey!

Just wanted to state a couple of big questions that I am facing right now regarding the measurement of the new Nurturing Strategy that we are creating. I hope to resolve this before implementing all the new WFs as doing big changes without the system to measure it established beforehand is completely against my principles... 😉 

General Scenario:

We have different Contact stages depending on the info we have about a lead, and each of them trigger different workflows adapted to those stages: F1 to F3 (from broader to more specific). 

The F1 Workflows goal is to make the user go to F2, F3 or even further. 

The F2 Workflows goal is to make the user go to F3 or further.

The F3 Workflows goal is to make the user go further on the funnel. 

So, the trigger for F1 Workflow for example consists on Property A = X, and in the moment that Property A = Y, that would make them exit F1 and go to F2 Workflow and ALSO at the same time fulfill the goal of F1 Workflow. 

1) First question:

If I have the Exit when Enrollment Criteria is not longer matched + Goal == Property A = Y, is there no way to measure that the goal has been completed BEFORE removing the user from the Workflow? I have developed a work-around, but I am not very happy with it, so curious to know how you handle this situation...

2) Second question: 

I would love to measure the impact of every single email inside every single of those workflows (more than 100 wfs, with 6 emails each). The metrics I want to have automatically are (apart from the obvious ones): 

- Users that clicked on specific Key CTAs (maybe with a contains?)

- Users that visited a specific page AFTER receiving, opening, clicking an email

- Users that converted (WF Goal) AFTER receiving, opening, clicking an email

Having reports with those metrics will really really be useful for my measurement... 

I manualy did something almost correct via lists, but having 7 lists per email is not something feasible at all. Furthermore, the lists doesn´t seem to have a feature (if you could point me in the right direction here, greatly appreciated) that would be key for me.:

Is it possible to do something like:

Pageview X AFTER Click Date on an specific email

or

Goal Converted AFTER Click Date on an specific email 

Thanks a lot!!

Dani

0 Upvotes
2 Replies 2
esliney
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Hi @DaniPerales,

Thanks for your post!  I am an Inbound Consultant at HubSpot and am happy to dig in.  I have a couple of clarifying questions to make sure I point you in the right direction.

For question 1:

Are there other factors in your enrollment criteria other than "Property A = X"?  If it is simply that property status, I recommend not using the suppression for "unenroll contacts when they no longer meet the criteria".  To your point, that setting will opt contacts out of the workflow before they count towards your goal list.

Per our help article, when a contact is first enrolled in a workflow, HubSpot checks if the contact meets the goal criteria. If they do, they will not be enrolled in the workflow and will not count towards the workflow's goal conversion rate.

So you can feel comfortable that people will be opted out and the goal list is not inflated initially when the automation is turned on.  

If the workflow sends an email to the contact, any contact whose property A switches to Y will hit the goal list and count towards your conversion rate properly.

If you require that suppression to remain in place, I would consider an alternative to reporting.  Perhaps a contacts report that is filtered on a list that contains the logic:

Has ever been enrolled in F1 workflow AND Property A is equal to (or has ever been equal to) = Y.  Then you can see the count of contacts that have been positively impacted by the workflow.

For question 2, I can see how those metrics out of the box would be helpful as well as having date based property logic in list criteria for page views, etc.  I recommend adding that to our ideas forum so other users can up-vote it.

There are a couple of options that come to mind though in the tool...

1.  Tagging your CTAs, Individual emails and Hubspot hosted pages with campaigns. 

While it may not provide the granular order of operation that you are describing, the influenced contacts will show all the contacts that opened or clicked on your emails at a high-level. 

Then you can compare in a list those who clicked on a specific CTA that is also on your influenced contact list from the campaign.

Note though, you can tag a workflow as a campaign.  A workflow with a campaign tag will mark all contacts that were enrolled as influenced.  That would be a solution if you need to see those that simply received an email.  If you are more focused on opens, I recommend not tagging the workflow as part of the campaign and only tag the emails that are within the workflow.

I understand that you are focused on the order of events from the workflow.  If you have closed deals in HubSpot and have an Enterprise level account, revenue attribution may be a good fit here.  There are models within those reports that show which emails influenced different steps in the journey for a new contact to a paying customer. 

Overall, I do think as you strategize your workflow logic and reporting needs, it is a good time to connect with your Customer Success Manager.  I'll let them know about your post.

I hope this was helpful.  If you have any questions, please feel free to respond.

Erin

DaniPerales
Participant

Hi Erin,

Thanks a lot for your detailed answer, it is deeply appreciated. 🙂

Some of the solutions and workarounds you provide are exactly the ones that we were exploring right now, so happy to see that we should dig further on those lines.

Thanks!

Dani

0 Upvotes