💬 RevOps Discussions

RyanHilliard
Contributor

Installing Snippet inside Web App

Background: As an org., we've been using tools like Pendo or WalkMe for web app analytics. When we want to to create a bucket of users for marketing automation or outreach based on app activity, we configure Zapier zaps to send in app activities or events to hubspot and slack to prompt action.

I was thinking, could we just drop the snippet directly into the web app to directly add users to lists or trigger workflows and cut out steps/cost with Zapier. Obviously HubSpot wouldn't be an app analytics replacement but this could resolve the separate challenge of individual enrollment. We can add the domains for tracking - it seems like it should just work.

Anyone done anything like this? Any reason why it wouldn't work?

0 Upvotes
6 Replies 6
RyanHilliard
Contributor

We've decided just to drop the snippet in place in our Dev environment and add the dev environment's domain to our tracking settings in HubSpot. I would have expected to see pageviews but there isn't any data coming through for those web app pages.

Anyone aware of limitations on this front? I wouldn't think HubSpot would know the difference of where the snippet lives (whether on a marketing site or within a SaaS application).

0 Upvotes
rtruncale
Top Contributor

0 Upvotes
RyanHilliard
Contributor

Not quite. Our challenge would be inside the webapp, not on the marketing/sign up side. Thanks for the note, though!

0 Upvotes
shilpandya
Participant

Thanks for the update @RyanHilliard. Have you connected with the HubSpot Support team on this? 

Looping in a few other community members who may have experience with in-app tracking.  @rtruncale  @cooperelias  @Mike_Eastwood  @thesnappingdog @jtAccusoft -- do any of you have experience with web app activity tracking? Would appreciate any suggestions or best practices you might have here.

0 Upvotes
RyanHilliard
Contributor

Nothing on the HubSpot support front yet. Usually someone is pretty quick to respond here to the thread (from HubSpot or otherwise). 

0 Upvotes
shilpandya
Participant

Hey @RyanHilliard -- this community isn't monitored by technical support so, if other users have jumped on this thread, I'd recommend posting this in the standard Support channels. For technical questions like APIs and custom code, we usually recommend posting in the Developer's Forum -- https://community.hubspot.com/t5/APIs-Integrations/bd-p/integrations. This forum is monitored by HubSpot Engineers who should be able to point you in the right direction!