💬 RevOps Discussions

JessBrown

Does anyone have helpful tips on recruiting for a HubSpot RevOps role?

SOLVE

Hi All, 

My name is Jess Brown and I am the Head of Demand Gen for OpenEnvoy, a small and thriving Fintech company that is venture backed, looking to hire a HubSpot RevOps manager as soon as possible. This position is a tough one to recruit for as we are looking for someone to own both Marketing and Sales Ops in HubSpot. I thought I would reach out to see if anyone has any helpful tips for finding great candidates for this role? 

Here is the link to the job description for reference: https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/2616476286/

Any advice would be much appreciated and please let me know how I can help as well, thank you!

Best,

Jess Brown

jessica@openenvoy.com

1 Accepted solution
Drew_Cohen
Solution
Top Contributor

SOLVE

Hey Jess, I will echo what @jbogaert said below about ensuring the job description speaks to the team(s) that the RevOps role will be collaborating with. From the folks that I've worked with over the last few years who have worked in and/or wanted to work in RevOps-related roles, one of their main drivers was the fact that they loved the idea of a role where they would not be siloed. Many RevOps professionals are people who have worked in sales, marketing, and/or customer service roles and have incredibly unique experience, but never saw themselves 100% aligned with one particular department. These individuals like to think more holistically, and may also have experience working in more than one of those previously mentioned departments. Because of that, ensuring the job description speaks to the value that this role will drive across multiple teams, and the impact it is expected to have on the entire business can be a huge selling point.

Additionally, speaking to specific elements of the technology stack that are alongside HubSpot will also help ensure you're getting the best possible pool of candidates. It's likely that RevOps pros will be coming into the role with experience with a variety of other tools -- many that will easily integrate with HubSpot. Speaking to other elements that they are familiar with and/or have experience with will also make a potential role that much more attractive.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
MattBolian
Participant | Elite Partner
Participant | Elite Partner

SOLVE

@JessBrown. I run a RevOps as a Service Company. All we do is hire is RevOps experts; we have to get really good at this motion (this post is from July -> hope I can still add some value). Also, I did  a webinar with HubSpot on this topic: 
A few tips. 
- HubSpot Optional: They do not need to have HubSpot experience to be a HubSpot RevOps person. Frankly, the HubSpot admin work is immature and yet to create the plethora of revops expertise that exist in other ecosystems (like Salesforce or Dynamics). HubSpot has marketing experts, not revops jedis that know salesops, finops, marketingops, etc. 
- Can Draw Process: Hire based on how well people can visualize and draw processes. I recommend doing a mock exercise where someone has to draw a full revenue map (system of a business that drive revenue - includes process like, lead scoring, list building, webinars, PPC, SEO, Cadences, Sales Stages, etc. Really good way to test business ops knowledge (HubSpot expertise can complete later). 
- Can Run a Meeting: Revop leaders can drive results and is best seen in how well someone can run a meeting. I recommend do a mock meeting.

How to find potential RevOp Jedis. This is a hard one. 
- Do it yourself: Use Salesflow.io to create a candidate pool using boolean logic and run a LinkedIn campaign

- Hire an expert: Hire a firm specializing in RevOps recruiting. I Recommend RevSearch.io. 

Hope this adds value to your life 🙂 

0 Upvotes
Drew_Cohen
Solution
Top Contributor

SOLVE

Hey Jess, I will echo what @jbogaert said below about ensuring the job description speaks to the team(s) that the RevOps role will be collaborating with. From the folks that I've worked with over the last few years who have worked in and/or wanted to work in RevOps-related roles, one of their main drivers was the fact that they loved the idea of a role where they would not be siloed. Many RevOps professionals are people who have worked in sales, marketing, and/or customer service roles and have incredibly unique experience, but never saw themselves 100% aligned with one particular department. These individuals like to think more holistically, and may also have experience working in more than one of those previously mentioned departments. Because of that, ensuring the job description speaks to the value that this role will drive across multiple teams, and the impact it is expected to have on the entire business can be a huge selling point.

Additionally, speaking to specific elements of the technology stack that are alongside HubSpot will also help ensure you're getting the best possible pool of candidates. It's likely that RevOps pros will be coming into the role with experience with a variety of other tools -- many that will easily integrate with HubSpot. Speaking to other elements that they are familiar with and/or have experience with will also make a potential role that much more attractive.

Hope this helps!

arlogilbert
Contributor

SOLVE

Good luck Jess. We've had an open job rec for 3 months. Happy to pay top dollar but 99.99999% of applicants who have strong revops experience are salesforce experts with no hubspot knowledge. It has been very frustrating.

0 Upvotes
jbogaert
HubSpot Moderator
HubSpot Moderator

SOLVE

Hi Jessica,

Thanks for sharing this job description! There's one main thing I can provide some feedback on:

The main thing that I noticed is that the way in which the RevOps function is defined within the org. The description says that the person will join the Marketing team, but you also state that the person should manage Sales Ops and operationalize other GTM efforts. That seems to indicate a disconnect that might come across as a bit of red flag to experienced Revenue Operators. 

The philosophy behind RevOps is that it's a team that operates independently within the org. By having RevOps report into a functional GTM-team, such as Marketing, there's a risk of them becoming siloed within that department, or at least implicitely serving the needs of that department.

That's essentially the difference between the old approach to Ops which is them being functionally siloed, and the new approach, which is a RevOps department that's strategic and empowered to find efficiencies across the entire company by owning the entire customer lifecycle/journey. 

Putting more emphasis on OpenEnvoy's larger RevOps strategy and purpose within the org should help I think 🙂