💬 RevOps Discussions

maggiebutler
HubSpot Moderator
HubSpot Moderator

[Discussion] How do you like to celebrate professional 'wins'?

Growing up, my mother's best friend -- my aunt essentially -- worked for a big bagel company before they went under in the 2000s. She used to travel all over the world opening their stores - she told me her favorite trip was to Russia and her photos were always the talk of her return dinner, no matter where she went.

When she woud complete a store opening, she'd buy herself a beautiful piece of jewerly to celebrate. She loves blues and greens, bracelets and earrings alike. Over the years her fingers and arms grew heavy with her accomplishments - she literally glittered!

It got me thinking: I need to do a better job of celebrating when I have my own professional accomplishments. And I want to bring this idea of celebration to our Ops community. We so often are striving for the Next Thing we forget to stop and say good job, especially to ourselves.

How do you like to celebrate when you have a professional 'win'? If aren't good at it (like me), what would you ideally do? How can we as a community help each other celebrate our wins? Let me know what you think.

3 Replies 3
JenBergren
Guide

Hi Maggie! I'm excited for a wins thread!

Some of our team wins of the week have been:

• A team member for upselling a project client to be ongoing 
  • Certain team members for getting a client's website launched that week
  • A team member for diving into research to solve a problem we've had for a long time
  • A team member for getting a media mention/backlink published
  • A team member for making a successful referral
  • A team member for completing a move across states

Jen Bergren

Client Services Manager

Remotish - A HubSpot RevOps Agency for B2B SaaS

Thanks!
Jen Bergren
Human-Centered Operations Leader, HubSpot SuperFan, Instructional Design and Lifelong Learning Advocate
Connect with me on Linkedin
JenBergren
Guide

Hi Maggie!

I love your story about your mom's best friend!

This post struck a chord with me since I have been working with a leadership coach and she has been trying to get me to celebrate wins more often. My default "celebrating" is like waiting for a big vacation 2 years away... so it's the smaller, more frequent celebrations that are hard to take time for. I am definitely always striving toward the next big goal!

I was going to celebrate finishing grad school and getting a job by going to Disneyland as a celebration, then I delayed that a year, then COVID hit, so celebrating through travel or experiences is a bit harder at the moment!

A few small things I do for my team to celebrate wins is to post them in Slack congratulating the people involved with liberal use of emojis and gifs, include a Team Win of the Week in our weekly internal company newsletter, and talk about wins or what people are most proud of in their weekly or monthly one on one meetings. We also have a yearly award for a team member who most embodies our company values given during our holiday celebration, and we do quarterly team events and more for rewards/celebrations.

(Yes, I am better at celebrating for my team than myself.)

Maybe we can have a thread or use this one (if there isn't one already) where we celebrate our monthly or weekly wins on a regular basis? And hopefully, some other OpsLife members can chime in with (socially-distant) celebration ideas for those wins!

Jen Bergren

Client Services Manager

Remotish - A HubSpot RevOps Agency for B2B SaaS

Thanks!
Jen Bergren
Human-Centered Operations Leader, HubSpot SuperFan, Instructional Design and Lifelong Learning Advocate
Connect with me on Linkedin
maggiebutler
HubSpot Moderator
HubSpot Moderator

@JenBergren Congrats on finishing grad school! That is so awesome, what a huge accomplishment. 

I would love to see a Team Win of the Week example - is there a way you feel comfortable sharing one with us?

I love your idea of starting a Wins thread. Let's do it. I'll get that going in the Community.

(Also, I couldn't agree more! I'm a wait-er, too. Need to get better!)