💬 RevOps Discussions

lalexander
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

[Closed] Exclusive Conversation with Gil Roeder, Dir. of the HubSpot Center for Inbound Advertising

We're excited to open up an exclusive conversation with Gil Roeder, Director of the HubSpot Center for Inbound Advertising. Gil has decades of experience as a paid search consultant, and he's advised and trained hundreds of companies over the years on how to approach ads in an inbound way.

On Tuesday, Gil will be answering your questions here on all things ads strategy, so be sure to leave your questions on this thread before then.

Examples of things you can ask Gil about:

• How to create or optimize your ads strategy
  • How inbound marketing and paid marketing can coexist
  • How to determine which platforms in your paid strategy are most effective 

0.png

11 Antworten
dhills
Mitwirkender/Mitwirkende

[Closed] Exclusive Conversation with Gil Roeder, Dir. of the HubSpot Center for Inbound Advertising

Hi Gil,

Thank you for your time,

How would go about targeting or engaging with an extremely niche audience?

A little bit of background, Stukent is an EdTech company so our audience is professors and high school educators. We offer them cutting edge material for their students or school to purchase. So far, regardless of how many exclusions the marketing team adds, they end up with a lot of clicks for the wrong people.

0 Upvotes
groeder
Mitglied

Hi @dhills 

Because of your niche audience couple of tips...

if you are talking about Google ad words,  your ads must specifically DISCOURAGE students and others who you don't want to attract -- 

even then 33% of Americans do not know how to read and accept injecting bleach as acure for Covid-19... so you're still going to get spurious clicks...

If you advertise on Linked in - you can target by job title and that should help a lot...

0 Upvotes
AM8
Stratege/Strategin

Hi Gil,

Can you share your thoughts on how small startups can start with Paid Strategy?

Specific case: With one client I only got $2000 budget to start with SEM and the CMO said - " if the campaign gives results in a month then we'll invest more money into paid channels. " There was no way to show results in $2000 Google Search Campaign. It only lasted 2 weeks and the budget got over and we didn't get any conversions. So they stopped paid and kept focussing on organic inbound. 

Hope this helps
Thank you.
-AM8 
#Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution.
0 Upvotes
groeder
Mitglied

Hi @AM8 

So with a 2k budget -- I usually recommend about 25-50$/day in google adwords budget

With that budget you should be able to run for at least an entire month.

I'll suggest that

1. the settings in the campaign were off...maybe you were onthe search and display network - that's not good stay on search only 
  2. your bidding should be maximize clicks
  3. the geography should only allow clicks from people who are IN your desired locations
  4. If you got clicks enough to spend the budget -and no conversions then that means that the landing page was not psychologically tied in to the ads and the clickers just went away...

But with that budget and a well designed campaign you should be able to see a better result

0 Upvotes
renee
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

@Driek @Rolf @jonathan_unger @Phill_CF @M_F_Griffin  - You all have mentioned an interest in ads, content or demand gen, so thought it might be helpful to add you to the conversation -- if you or your team has any questions for Gil today.. drop them in here!

0 Upvotes
LBeresford-Ward
Teilnehmer/-in

Hi Gil, hope you're well.

My question is around ad campaign structure. We're about to promote a service we offer "Cisco Meraki Managed SD WAN". Where we have a supportive download outlining how 5 other companies have implemented the solution. In terms of ad campaign structure, I've seen the dollar a day strategy (https://academy.hubspot.com/lessons/low-budget-facebook-ads) and another here (https://swiperightmedia.com/project/reebok/). Before I commit to building out a campaign in line with one of these best practices, is there another one you've used that i should consider?

I'm finding it a little tricky thinking about what triggers the movement from one ad set to another.

For example: 

Ad set 1: Connect - Branding - Traffic
- Who you are, problems you can solve

Goal: 3 second video view? If yes, move to Ad set 2 audience.

Ad set 2: Commit - Lead Gen - Conversion
- How you do it, Why are you good, how great it is

Goal: Click to website? If yes, move to Ad set 2 audience.

Ad set 3: Close - Retargeting - Purchase
- What are you offering, Help the customer buy

Goal: Downloaded doc? If yes, move to Ad set 2 audience.

Thoughts appreciated.

Best wishes,

Luke

0 Upvotes
groeder
Mitglied

Hi @LBeresford-Ward,

First, based on how you are describing your service - my opinion is that Facebook is the wrong place to promote it. I'd much rather see you on Google or LinkedIn...

Google bc you can find people with the INTENT to learm more about managed SD WAN - and linked inbc you could target your specific demorgraphic - and find folks who go to their linked in profile to better themselves professionally...

Withrespect to adsets - in Google for instance in one campaign you could have multiple ad groups - one for branded - one for lead gen general etc. and let the marketplace determing the distribution of what ads show by their search volume...

As far as the dollar a day best practie - I don't agree with that - and it will take a very long time to acquire any data.

0 Upvotes
LBeresford-Ward
Teilnehmer/-in

Thanks for your reply Gil.

To give a bit more background on the subject, we have a Google Ads  search campaign planned as well and we have advertised on linkedin before so we were thinking of using, website audience and lists in hubspot (Target Account = True) to target people on facebook, hopefully knowing that they find our information relevant having been to our website/ are relevant people, having been advertised to on linkedin previously and subsequently visited our site/ are contacts from target account companies. So the facebook ads were a cheaper way to get back in front of them potentially. 

Interesting to hear you don't agree with the dollar a day strategy - I haven't tried it, but i can see how it would take a fair amount of time to gather data if it's running in that way. What would you suggest as better guidance to follow?

Thanks, 

Luke

0 Upvotes
HadarS
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

@amyciceraro @amabilemorgan20 @Ambushed @thesnappingdog @Pagenoi @LBeresford-Ward you all mentioned marketing and demandgen as part of what you do. Any questions for Gil on ad strategy especially in the current climate?

0 Upvotes
Alex27
Teilnehmer/-in

Hi Gil,

Thank you for coming into the community today.

We've had to scale back our paid budget significantly since the start of COVID. Can you share how you would think about which campaigns you'd want to pause? We have a long sales cycle so it's important to plant the seeds early, and we want to avoid having a complete lack of leads when we emerge from this bad economy.

-Alex

groeder
Mitglied

Hi @Alex27 

So I would look at allmy campaigns and see which ones are working...

Working for me implies that you are getting a reasonably good clickthru rate - 

I look for better than 2.5% CTR. 

For the moment keep the best campaign and pause the others - 

Maybe reallocate budget from the paused ones...

If you are tracking conversions look at conversions too -- if you aren't getting 30 or more conversions per month - try switching your bidding strategy to maximize clicks and make sure you set a max cost per click if you do this -- Use your typical cost per click as a guide for that and just pick something a bit higher. 

0 Upvotes