💬 RevOps Discussions

BrianCarter
Contributor

Associating a Company to Contacts is the most difficult thing to do in HubSpot. Prove me wrong!

SOLVE

Currently the only way edit Contacts associated Company is to click into each Contact and update the company. There are MANY issues with this that it seems like quite a bit of HubSpot customers face.

Even with this as the current solution, if the Company to associate to the Contact is not in HubSpot, the user would have to create it. Talk about a lot of manual work for each new department or office you reach out to... but let's focus on the real limitations on this topic.

Issues with the current system:

• Upon creating a single Contact, there is no place to associate Company without going into the Contact object
  • Import Contacts option does not have an ability to add the associated company to each contact
  • Bulk edit of Contacts do not have an option to edit the associated company for groups of Contacts
  • The email domain match to company feature is limited/non-accurate for large or Federal organizations
    • E.g. Department of Defense has different branches, each branch has sub-organizations, and then multiple sub-orgs beyond that. If "X" sub-org is contracted with us, it does not mean that the entire Air Force or DoD is contracted as well, although the contacts all likely use a "mail.mil" email domain.
    • Thus this feature is turned off for our organization

This has been a topic for many moons as "Bulk Edit Associated Company?":

https://community.hubspot.com/t5/CRM/Bulk-Edit-Associated-Company/td-p/244227

Thanks for reading - would love feedback if others still have this as a high-level issue for data management.

Best,

Brian

1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

Associating a Company to Contacts is the most difficult thing to do in HubSpot. Prove me wrong!

SOLVE

Hi @BrianCarter,

I shared a more detailed post here. This method will actually associate the objects, not just populate the Company name contact property.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
StephanieYoung
Participant

SOLVE

This is going to be MUCH more important and complicated for the new features they're playing with in Beta - that is, associating contacts and companies in a one-to-many scheme.  Already annoyed that they've rolled out this ability (which is great, especially when we deal a lot with parent companies and a hundred of their branches separately) but having to go into each file and manually tell it which is the branch, which is the parent, AS WELL AS manually tell it the association labels (also, in our case, 'branch' and 'parent company') is going to be... well... unlikely to be adopted.  It's almost a great feature, except for the giant black hole of bulk editing.  

0 Upvotes
BrianCarter
Contributor

SOLVE

This solves some of the issue at least! Great stuff!

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Nice, glad to hear, @BrianCarter!

While it's not a fulll solution, if you want to help others find this information, you could accept my post as a solution. I'd appreciate it.

Have a great day!

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @BrianCarter,

Agreed, there is potential for better features there. One correction however, it is possible to import and associate records!

Best regards

Karsten Köhler

0 Upvotes
BrianCarter
Contributor

SOLVE

Thanks for the quick response! Based on what I'm reading here - It can associate the Company name. Will this connect the Contact object and link/associate it to the specific Company? Or is it only a Company Name?

Best,

BC

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @BrianCarter,

I shared a more detailed post here. This method will actually associate the objects, not just populate the Company name contact property.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler